Titling or gettng a trailer title in Virginia without a title

Petedacook

Seaman Apprentice
I am posting this for anyone trying to obtain a title or register a trailer in Virginia, but do not have the title for the trailer.

I bought a boat and the boat came with no title because it was titled in Maine. I did a lot of research and found that you can get a title for a homemade trailer in Virginia. It does not matter if your trailer is not home made.

I went to DMV and asked about the title as I was titling my boat. They wanted the VIN for the trailer. Well, the trailer does not have a VIN because it washed off. Usually VINs are trailers are stickers. Why you may ask?

Because dealers get the trailers in parts and the dealer has to assemble the parts to make a trailer. The trailer manufacturer has no idea which parts are going together, so the VIN on trailers is often times a sticker.

DMV was clueless on how I would title this trailer. After more research I decided to try and go the route of a homemade trailer title and VIN assigned by DMV. I applied for the VIN and was given a plate to affix to the trailer. I affixed the VIN plate.

Now came the scary part. I had to call the state police and ask them to send a trooper out to inspect the trailer. My trailer is made by a company called Sail Trailers or something. Clearly affixed with their name, the trailer was blatantly obviously not homemade. I was scarred to call the state police, but I sucked it up and called.

The tropper showed up and did not give a dam the trailer was not homemade. He did not care at all. He was very nice, asked me to show him where the VIN was affixed, told me he had to put it in the system in his car. Came out with the trooper verification for DMV signed, told me to make copies in case DMV messed it up and to have a nice day.

TLDR: If you are afraid of calling state police to inspect a homemade trailer because your trailer is obviously not homemade, don?t be. They do not care about the trailer manufacturer.

boatman37

Lieutenant
good to know. i bought my boat in ohio and the trailer has no title. the PO signed the registration and receipt over to me. i went to a notary here in PA and was told they needed the registration. isn't that what i gave them? it clearly says registration on it. so anyway, a friend mentioned registering it as homemade. mine is made by olympic trailers but has no tag or no mention of any manufacturer on it. may have to go this route. thanks

Randy Bell

Cadet
I just purchased my boat in Kentucky which does not tag boat trailers, I got the boat title straightened out after a month. I was told to take the trailer and have it weighed to get tags for it!

boatman37

Lieutenant
mine has a slip with the shipping weight listed as 1500lbs from when it was purchased new. it is a tri-axle for my 25' sundancer. not sure how accurate that weight is though