Welding bunk supports?

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone welded the bunk supports to the trailer frame? my bunks keep shifting when I unload the boat, I've tightened the bolts but it didn't seem to make any difference. I was going to launch the boat to get it off the trailer then try replacing the bolts, but I have a welder and was thinking about just welding them instead. Any thoughts on this?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The bunks on my trailer came welded. As long as you have the bunks exactly where you want them, I can't see a problem with welding them in place.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welder up. All you should need is a couple tack welds on. Each one and leave the bolts in place. That way if you should ever need to move them it wont take much time to cut the welds.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I welded every bunk support AND the center roller supports on my trailer refurbish project. And so now the trailer is made to fit my boat perfectly. So answer to your question is YES they can be welded without any issue.
Trailer welds.jpg
If you would like to see my procedures, click on the trailer link below and take a look...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Seems like needless overkill... Much, much easier to just pop a new hole through the support and the trailer beam, and put a bolt through that. That way, it still at least is adjustable should you ever need to.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
overkill is underrated! :D I'll just stitch it in a few spots to keep it from shifting again. obviously I still haven't found the time to do it yet, but it will get done before I take the boat out again.