how to get boat to sit right on trailer

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
PO had it on the trailer like this, and even if I move it forward about the foot that I can the entire bottom will not be supported to the transom it looks like. Maybe this isn't the right size trailer for this boat?

p98k6POl.jpg

YJuKyIkl.jpg

JTgyzeYl.jpg

tanker1983

Cadet
Trailer is too short. Your transom tie-downs should be close to straight up and down. Even extending the bunks wouldn't suffice.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
well a longer trailer is out of the question unfortunately right now, what if i extend the bunks, and weld supports?

tanker1983

Cadet
Extended bunks with angle iron brackets should suffice depending on the type of trailering. Secondary roads. Short to medium length trips.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
so after looking i think the PO had taken the bunks off for some reason and put them on backwards. If you go to magnetas sight and look at their trailers you notice the bunks on their 12-14' model there is much more hanging off the rear mount than there is hanging off the front mount. Also, if you look at the smaller trailer for up to 12' boats the bunks are equal lenghts on both sides of the brackets

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In addition to turning the bunks around, I would make a couple other adjustments. The winch post looks too low, the winch strap should be parallel with the trailer as it leads to the bow eye, since you are maxed out on the height, I would lower the bunks as much as you can while keeping the hull off of the trailer, this will require you to add a couple more keel rollers so the boat doesn't hit the trailer as you load it. I would move the forward most roller down so the bow can come right up to the winch post, if this makes the trailer tongue too heavy, just move stuff around in the boat to compensate. For your stern tie down, I would run a single strap up from the back of the trailer, up to the gunnel, across the boat to the other side and back down to the trailer, this would do a much better job of holding the boat down to the trailer, just be cautious not to over tighten the strap or it will start to collapse the sides of the hull together. Others have mentioned in this thread and in others that bunks extending past the supports do not provide any support, I don't believe that is the case in your situation because your bunks are mounted on edge rather than flat.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Keel rollers and mounting hardware is right HERE, smidge.

You might be able to add a longer tongue.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a jetski trailer. Its not only too short. but also the winch cannot be raised high enough to do the job safely, plus the wheels cannot possibly be positioned correctly to provide the proper weight distribution.

That's an accident waiting to happen. Leave it in your backyard until you can get a proper trailer.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't know that you would ever be able to make that trailer correct for that boat. It is for sure not made for that boat. I would be checking the specs on it. It may may not be rated for something like that.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
so today i got to work on the trailer to get the boat sitting right as im taking it to have someone weld a few things for me tomorrow. I looked up the model online and confirmed it indeed was a 14 ft trailer.
Once i removed the boat from the trailer i noticed there was another set of holes in the bunks, equally spaced from each end... Go figure :roll: . After going to every store i could think of in the area to look for u bolts i decided to try the local west marine, and they had them but for 8 bucks each! Got everything back together after that and it looks much better now.

mXZIuAcl.jpg

0djRNT8l.jpg

NkJsZhvl.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
well a longer trailer is out of the question unfortunately right now, what if i extend the bunks, and weld supports?

Out of the question or not that trailer is not suitable for that boat.... If you need a size 12 shoe, no amount of reasoning will make a size 9 fit.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
That's a jetski trailer. Its not only too short. but also the winch cannot be raised high enough to do the job safely, plus the wheels cannot possibly be positioned correctly to provide the proper weight distribution.

That's an accident waiting to happen. Leave it in your backyard until you can get a proper trailer.

it is actually not a jetski trailer according to the manufacturer.

look here

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
OK - 14" How long is the boat?
The winch still needs to be moved up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That trailer now fits the boat. With that light of a hull, I don't think you need to worry about tongue weight--unless you hang a heavy engine while towing.

If you reverse ()flip) the winch, (which is the way it really should be mounted, it will be higher and more in line with the bow eye. Of course, you will be winching from the other side. You will need to run out all the rope and rewind it so your handle turns the correct direction and the rope winds in from the top of the spool. Maybe! Perhaps it will wind correctly because now it winds backward. You will know when you flip it.

Last edited: