Dodge Grand Caravan

NYBo

Admiral
The current 62TE is a different animal from the older Ultradrives.
To add on to this:
41TE= 4 speeds, 1 duty rating (lowest), transversely-mounted, electronically-controlled (a.k.a. the Ultradrive, a.k.a. A604)
62TE= 6 speeds, 2 duty rating, etc.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will be fine. Throw on a tranny cooler (if not already equipped) and you'll be good to go. Your boat is well within the tow rating. I wouldn't sweat it.

Agree. Install aux transmission cooler (for 5,200 lbs attached trailer) for extra safety margin. Especially if towing in hilly regions.

If Caravan's rear has too much sag (from boat's tongue weight + rear cargo), also install Timbren SES units.

They come in both coil spring and leaf spring versions.

re: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/timbre...r-town-country

And if you find the attached loaded Boat trailer pushes the Mini-Van around (especially down hills), then install brakes on the trailer as well.

If wondering, I installed all 3 above items on my mini-van (that tows 2,600 lbs boat + its trailer) and it works great.

Hope this helps.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Lots more thanks to all for the great info here.
Thanks for the links too.

Trailer already has electric brakes.
Trans cooler is on the list.

Will be hauling very little cargo in the van when towing.
Will keep the link to the Timbren suspension upgrade, just in case.

Still can't believe there are no other vehicles that can compete in tow rating and price, with the Dodge.
And there is only 18 months before this vehicle is discontinued.

I guess I now have to decide if I am going to buy now, or wait till Xmas or January.
Also, get a 2015 or 2016.???

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Technically it's not being replaced, their are just going to offer the Town and Country instead, but apparently they will offer a lower end model at a similar price point to the current Grand Caravan. We loved the stow and go captains chairs in the 2nd row, we haven't gone on a big trip with or new to us Durango but I bet we will miss that extra storage space.

If you are buying new get one with the factory tow package. You said the trailer has electric brakes, don't forget you will need to install a brake controller so factor that into your costs. You can look at etrailer for the wiring kits.

In the summer I saw a Grand Caravan pulling a 20' bowrider, the back end was insanely low to the ground, it was seriously overloaded, but it was a big boat for the van.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
From what I have read, Dodge will likely not offer any mini van in its lineup.
Chryslers new Town and Country is being redesigned, and will be offered in 3 ? models, ranging from $28k to $44k.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
OK, bought it.
2016 GC SE plus with Blacktop option, hitch, 7 pin wiring plug, and brake controller.
And it comes with a cooler.

Now, another question for those who have used this drivetrain for towing.

Owners manual makes no mention of what gear to tow in.
Just a vague statement about using the select shift Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control, to limit the highest gear the trans can use.
It says to use this when towing, select appropriate gear your the situation.

So, what gear would that be? 4th? 5th?
What gear would you use?
Keep engine rpm to a maximum of ????
Keep gear low enough so it doesn't hunt for gears?
Might be tough to tell, as it shifts so quietly and smooth.
Actually, there is an led display that tells you what gear you are in.

Its a 6 speed transmission.
My load will usually be 1700-1800#, occasionally 2300#

Bondo

Staff member
Keep gear low enough so it doesn't hunt for gears?
Might be tough to tell, as it shifts so quietly and smooth.
Actually, there is an led display that tells you what gear you are in.

Ayuh,.... You've got it,...... ;)

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Way to go on your new mini-van purchase. I'm hoping to buy my next mini-van in 4 years. Ya. I love them that much as well.

Some folks use the "hunting" as an indicator. For me (and my mini-van), I use the "is it lugging?" feeling instead. For example, if I pull a heavy trailer up a slight grade and it feels like its "lugging" too much, I will manually put in lower gear. But majority of time, I manually put in lower gear and leave it. For my van, it has 1-2-D-DD (only 4 gear auto transmission) on its indicator. I drive solo in DD and 99% of the time when towing, I put in "D" and let its engine rev a little higher than usual. I only tow in DD when pulling my little empty 4x6 trailer. If wondering, my mini-van's engine may rev a little higher in its lower ratio "D" gear but it gets same MPGs when towing in DD (because it sometimes lugs too much in DD gear). Same might be true for your mini-van as well.

Edit: Most vehicle MAX RPMs are around 6,000 - 6,500 RPMs. When towing in lower gear, probably best to keep RPMs in the 3K to 4K range. My mini-van tows heavy loads best in its 3.5K - 4.5K rpm range (depending on MPH ground speed).

Best to tow a few things see what best feels to you (and your new van).

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds good.
I'm used to having the manual state something like "no towing in overdrive", or "put the vehicle in tow mode."

I've got plenty of experience driving, and towing, with manual trans vehicles, so I'm sure I can get the feel of it.

Just surprised they didn't cover it more thoroughly in the manual.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since many utility and boat trailers don't allow Weight Distribution hitches and some mini-vans (like Honda and my van) have rear sag when connected, have a serious look at Timbren SES unit. They are chunks of rubber that fit within Coil Springs and/or above leaf spring packs that dramatically eliminate rear sag (when under load). Vision air bags without air inside them (thus, no air leaks and airing up/down hassles). If wondering, my last 3 x vans had them (including my current mini-van) and my next mini-van replacement will have them as well. If wondering, my current mini-van has "inside coil springs" design and I install them myself.

re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opdvry7IjmM

Note: Do shop around because product selling price does dramatically vary.

Hope this helps as well...

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, good info.

I guess I have 3 months of winter to figure this all out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Ok, update. As stated above, picked up a 2016 GC SE plus with Blacktop option, hitch, 7 pin wiring plug, trans cooler, and brake controller.
MPG @ 57mph -- 29
mph @ 62mph --26.5
mpg @ 70 mph --23

I've towed the boat and small utility trailer several times, and it has done extremely well.
Set trans for 5th gear and away it goes.

Last month, we had our annual trip to Canada, 1100 miles round trip.
We had a few extra items to transport, so total weight of trailer was a bit higher.
It scaled out at 3160#. Tongue weight was 250#, hitch dropped 7/8" as I connected the trailer to the ball.
Plus 2 small coolers, two small duffle bags, and 3 adults in the van (total 650#).

Again, it pulled like a champ.
Used the cruise when possible on the way, 17.2 mpg.

Coming home, I used the cruise much less. I let the speed 5-7 mph when climbing a few of the bigger hills, and let her roll on the down side. This kept the downshifting to a minimum. Took a slightly different route home, with about a dozen extra towns to pass through.
MPG on the way home was 19.2. I pretty much drove 55/57 mph all the way home, as the speed limit was 55 on the entire route, except for 28 miles along Lake Superior.

Somehow things didn't get loaded quite right for the drive home, and 150# less fuel in the boat, so the tongue weight was less. Did not sway or move the van around, but the hitch did clunk a bit.

Electric trailer brakes have worked very well.
Just have to remember not to "cover" the brakes through intersections, as when the brake light goes on, the trailer brakes are on.

​Have launched and loaded 5 times, and the van has not spun a tire.

Did I buy the right vehicle?
Probably, but I still think about that Nissan Frontier.

Probably going to take her to Oregon next week. 4700 miles.
​Looks like I will be driving into a heat wave, so it will give the air-conditioning a good test.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You will be towing only 1900 to 2200 lbs so most anything with a v6 should pull that weight without problem. Most any mid size suv will do fine and give you room to take 4 or more passengers. The problem I have with Dodge products Is that year after year they are near the bottom as far as dependability/reliability ratings.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think you'd be fine towing your rig with that even the 500 mile trip. Keep the speed down and you'll be fine. I liked having a mini van, with two daughters we tend to pack a lot. When it was time to upgrade we ended up with a Highlander, best car I've ever owned, rated for 3500#, if a hybrid or tow pkg equipped comes with a trans cooler and wiring harness plug so lights was super easy. Newer models I think can handle 5 k.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2014 jeep wrangler unlimited with the 3.6 penta star. Yes the motor is a dog compared to v8's and diesels but it get the job done. I sometimes use it to tow my 2003 maxum 1900sr that's about 3900-4000 pounds fully loaded. I only tow it about 10 miles but it pulls fine and brakes fine. I would feel comfortable towing it anywhere except the overpasses when I go to Eastern Washington. Too much incline for too long.

Your rig is alot smaller, you'll be fine.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That is like an F350 compared to the 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan with the old school 3.4 I used to tow my 4000+ rig with back in the day (not my much larger current boat). Amazingly the minivan had just enough of a towing set up to make it seem far more capable than it should have seemed. City driving was its downfall however as it would struggle to keep the engine cool. Highway driving was great and the air springs didn't let the rear end sag at all. The length of minivans also was a big help. I was in every manner of situation from emergency highway maneuvers to every crappy boat access you can imagine. I think I lived 3 lifetimes that one year I used a minivan to tow a boat long distances. Moving, again many years back, to a v8 body on frame suv with on demand AWD, locking rear differential (not limited slip) and an appropriately low gear ratio was like moving from a horse to a car in many situations.
The key at the ramps with the minivan, I'm talking heavily used, steep, slimy green ramps, was good tires. It also helped that I had a roller trailer that doesn't make you have to back into the water.