Silly Newb Question . . .

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just boat an old boat and I'm getting a hitch installed on my SUV. How do I determine the ball size I'll need for my trailer? The trailer is old and I can't find any markings on it. The boat is an 18 ft bowrider.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
99% it will be 2".... get a 2" ball and test fit.... if the trailer were 1 7/8" the ball wouldn't go in and it it were 2 5/16" the ball will be loose in the coupler... but... it'll be 2"

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with smoke, based on the boat, 99% chance it is going to be a 2" ball on that trailer.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys!! While we are on the subject . . . what do you think of those hitch inserts that have multiple balls of varying sizes? The upside is obvious . . . is there a downside?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys!! While we are on the subject . . . what do you think of those hitch inserts that have multiple balls of varying sizes? The upside is obvious . . . is there a downside?

No real down side, unless you consider, you can't use one of those to adjust the height of the trailer, all of them are straight out of the tube so they all sit at the same level, which often times you will need a bit of a lift or drop to even things out. Next thing to take into consideration, do you need it? Are you towing vehicles that all have different sized balls, depending on your SUV that chances of you towing a trailer that requires a 2 5/16 ball is not really going to happen, unless you run into a trailer that don't need it, but someone has changed the coupler. I have specific mounts for certain situations and then I have a converta ball on one of those mounts, just in case I run into an odd ball situation that is not normal.

64osby

Admiral
It may be hard to see, the coupler size / ball size will be stamped into the coupler. I have seen many that are under several layers of paint.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
One thing to watch for is, sometimes a previous owner don't have the right size ball, so they tighten up the nut under the clasp, to fit a smaller ball. Not a safe way of doing that. Seen it more than a few times. If that is the case, you can tell by fitting the correct ball, and look closely how it fits from the underside.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use the Master Lock brand interchangeable ball system. It's rated for 10,000 pounds and can be had with the 1 7/8" and 2" balls or with the 2 5/16" too.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep.....get your scraper or wire brush out....should be stamped on the coupler, never saw one without the stamp.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought one of the height adjustable tri-ball mounts for the dually. Jon boat and small trailer take 1-7/8", larger trailer and camper take 2", and have the 2-5/16" if I ever get a travel trailer. Plus can use the stinger for the weight distribution hitch if I'd need it, so would save me from buying one. Expensive, but by the time I'd bought 3 drop hitches, would have worked out to about the same.

One thing I didn't consider was locking it, and took two lock sets to secure it, so that was a little extra.