Axle Carriage

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo. I have read that a tandem axle % should be around 5% to 7% and single axles around 10% to 15%.

Ayuh,..... I've been haulin' wagons for over 40 years,... 1 axle, 2 axles, 3 axles, 'n more,....

I won't haul Any wagon that I can't get 10% of the weight forward,...

My truck will haul whatever I hook to it, 'n at 10% on the tongue, I can haul it as fast as my truck will pull it, knowin' when I look in the mirror, it'll be exactly behind me followin' along,....

Light on the tongue can get ya into serious "Tail waggin' the Dog" situations,...

Been there, done that, took 2 days to pry my hands off the steerin' wheel, 'n a month for the stench to clear the cab,.....
Way past a "White Knuckle Ride",......
One of those, "Well, it ain't very far" things,...

This is one of my Better loads, that rode like a Cadillac,...
There's a tandem Easy-Loader wagon under there, that was Bondoized just for that trip,....
It now sits under a 20' Bertram barge headin' for a warehouse,...
Looks like the wagon it was, just atad longer tongue,.... 'bout 1/2 of the tongue it had in this picture,.... tows much better with the extra length,....
f10063.jpg

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of suggestions. Thanks!
My plan is put the trailer on the truck hitch and leave the jack stand down. Remove the u-bolts on the carriage and jack up the trailer frame at the stern and put it on jack stands. Then use a comealong to move the carriage back about a foot. I will need ot remove the ubolt on the crossmember to move the carraige that far and hope that ubolt fits. Gonna try to find the time this weekend to take care of it and will report back.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Mission accomplished. Haven't checked ther actual tongue wieght yet, but there is enough there that I can't pick it up by hand any longer. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Dave