Going Diesel For New (to me) Tow Vehicle

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lasts forever

So that is a common myth... First, diesels have all the same common parts that a gas engine has that are far more likely to fail. Radiator, hoses, belts, power steering, alternator, etc... Those require the same regular maintenance, and have the same odds of failing on a diesel.

And for the difference in cost in maintenance, you could swap out a 5.7l gas block every 150k miles with a new crate engine and still be money ahead! Like everyone else has said, unless you have a need and you use it often for that intended purpose, a diesel is not a good choice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
:popcorn:

they are both man-made, they are both prone to failure.

that being said, for diesel, my heart has to go with a nice Cummins. I prefer the early 12-valve 5.9 liter engines myself. simple to work on, will run over a million miles with simple oil changes, easy to make gobs of torque. The 4-valve motors were good, came from the factory with a bunch more power, however most was still left on the table.

could also be that I worked there in the past too.

FYI - the Cummins motor is the only Medium Duty diesel on the market in the 1 ton and lower category. everything else is a light duty diesel (including the new Cummins LDV8 in the Nissan)

while GM may have an "allison", it is only a 1000 series Allison. nothing special about it, it was designed as a price-point light-duty transmission.

If I was in a market for a new tow truck with a diesel, I would probably be looking at a 10 year old low mileage extra cab F450's or F550's with the Cummins 8.3 liter. you can get them with a utility body and a truck crane for as low as $16k strip off the utility body and crane, sell them, buy a used 350 bed and tweak the fuel pump and turbo, take it to an upholstery shop for new leather interior whola..... a towing beast for under $20k that will run to a million miles. However I would probably play with it to the point of blowing it up as well.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I was looking to replace my 5.9 equipped Durango to tow my 7400 lb boat/trailer and perhaps a bigger boat some day. I don't drive much and I live in NH so rust is a major problem long before mechanical issues are, so I decided it made sense to buy a truck with no rust and lot of miles. I did my research and decided on a used LBZ Duramax. Took awhile to find the right truck, but I was able to get a cream-puff, one owner, 2007 GMC Sierra Classic SLT crew cab short bed 4x4 2500HD with 181,000 miles and no rust for $18,700 on Craigslist. The only apparent downside was that the truck was 2000+ miles away in Denver. My wife and I turned the trip to pick it up into a nice 5-day mini-vacation and had so much fun, we plan to do it again the next time we need another car. Road trips are fun with the right attitude.

LBZs were only made from 2006.5 to 2007.5 and are the best of the Duramax offering to date. They don't have injector or overheat issues like the previous D-max offerings, they have the power of the later D-max offerings and they lack the emissions stuff of the later D-max offerings. The only downside to pre-2007.5 4x4 Duramax trucks is the pump-rub issue in the transfer case. I installed a $75 kit to prevent the problem and it took me 4 hours to do the work by myself. As it turns out, mine was still fine after 181,000 miles, but now I have nothing to worry about. I have no reason to think I can't easily get 400,000+ miles out of this truck.

The towing ability of this truck is tremendous. The truck never feels like it's working hard and has gobs of power in reserve. I tow on rural two-lane back roads with 55 MPH speed limits often; and for reasons I cannot comprehend, many people tend to go 40MPH to 50MPH on them. During the 15 years I towed with my Durango, I utilized passing zones 4 times and mostly just suffered behind the slow pokes because all the stars had to align to allow enough room for a safe pass. With the diesel, I utilize passing zones all the time. I probably made 25 safe passes this season with the boat in tow. Even with the boat behind me, the truck passes as quickly as my 4 cylinder Toyota hatchback. It's just effortless.

I do all my own maintenance and repair. Thus far, the truck has been ridiculously easy to work on. It even has a transmission pan drain plug and spin-on filter so transmission maintenance is a breeze. The fuel filter is pretty cheap and very easy to change. The serpentine belt looks like it might be a challenge though...

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I think I am going to pass on the 6.0. Like jbetzelb said, they had quite a bit of trouble 2003 - 2007. I have been reading up on this motor and it sure sounds a lot like my Merc 470 -- "it's a great motor after you fix all the problems". I love my 470 now that I have fixed everything, but I do not want to go thru that with a truck.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Overkill? Just a tad....... :)

Well, yea, a little, lol. Pulls it nicely though, and sure don't know it's back there, you can't even see it past the fenders. 😀

:popcorn:

while GM may have an "allison", it is only a 1000 series Allison. nothing special about it, it was designed as a price-point light-duty transmission.

Uh, dodge hd's aren't known for their reliable transmissions, lol.

And if you really want a diesel, I say go for it. Most people that get one usually don't regret it, but there are many that get a gas truck and are dissapointed they didn't get the diesel they'd had their heart set on all along.

As said though, it will cost more, but will put a smile on your face when you're pulling that boat.

Another plus is that they hold their resale value Better than a gas truck, in case you would decide to sell it down the road.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"Another plus is that they hold their resale value Better than a gas truck, in case you would decide to sell it down the road."

Well you pay more for the diesel new or used when you buy it so your just getting back your initial expenditure. A diesel doesn't save you dime one because of better resale. As others have said, a diesel is more expensive to run due to the higher repair and maintenance costs. They are also much more problematic than gas engines. All the MN winter cold starts and short trips I've put on my 6.0 gasser over the last 11+ years would have killed a diesel. With a 170K I'm not sure it's even half wore out. Doesn't burn any oil and still sounds nice and tight through the exhaust when you start it up. Regardless the truck will be long gone from my possession before I ever have to worry about wearing out the motor.

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, new I'd agree, but actually, the LBZ's have increased in value recently. Its a market quirk (everyone looking at used Duramax's want this particular model due to what's mentioned above, and asking prices have reflected that).

And true, most vehicles succumb to other things than the engine wearing out, whether it be accident, rust, drivetrain issues, or just wanting something different.

As say, they may not make the most financial or practical sense in all situations, I'd say a good 80% of diesel owners don't really require one (as you can see, I'm one of those, lol)

Even so, not regretting mine. It's just so much better at pulling, even the lighter loads that I pull. And I do have plans for a larger camper or toy hauler maybe, so I'll be well equipped for any possible upgrades.

Also, there's just something special about a diesel truck, the torque, the sound, the presence. Something no gas driven truck will be able to replicate.

Priceless to some, worthless to others, a call one can only make given their needs, wants, and budget.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I love my deisel because I NEED it... My truck, fifth wheel, and jeep (on towbar) total over 30,000 lbs and I tow long didtance... Couldn't pull that weight with any gasser on the market at the speeds I run....

If it weren't for the camper I'd sell my 7.3 Powerstroke truck so fast it'd make your head spin and get a 10 year newer chevy 3/4 ton gasser with 250,000 less miles on it and probably have money left over.

I would have absolutely no problem pulling my 26' flybridge cruiser at highway speeds and would LOVE the simplicity and economy of a gas powered truck...

Yes I currently drive one of the toughest pickups around but I could easily walk away from it...

As it is I'm considering either upgrading to a freightliner fl-60 or building a newer ford from the frame up with full air ride and an international DT-360 engine. Ugh lol

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
naturelover - Agree on all your points. I have a buddy on his 3rd diesel truck who has absolutely no reason for owning one but he just loves diesel trucks. His saying is REAL trucks burn diesel fuel. I've towed with diesel trucks so I can understand why people get addicted to all that torque. If I was one of those retired couples towing a huge 5th wheel camper all over the US I wouldn't own anything but a diesel. They definitely have their place.

Personally I think one of the new mid-size GM twins w/the 4 cylinder Dmax would be a cool truck to own. They had one at the MN state fair in August. I think for awhile GM will sell those things as quick as they can build them.

staydry

Seaman
To the OP....go get that diesel...we are on our 3rd 5th wheel thats pushing 16k loaded so its a no brainer...have a '12 3500 dually with the Cummins and its an absolute pleasure to tow with especially in the north Ga mountains where we drag our camper to every so often...of all the comments posted (all good arguments) one big one that was absent is the benefits of the Cummins exhaust brake....you really don't need much braking application to keep everything under control coming down a steep grade...I think Ford & Chevy utilize a transmission brake of some sorts...never towed with one so can't comment on the efficiency.

I know this isn't a good comparison to towing boats but they're benefits to a diesel for anyone that does any amount of towing especially since you don't know what sort of trailering upgrade you may make in the future...at least you'll have the right truck.

BTW...I get my oil changes at the dealer...they offer 4 changes w/filter for $225....my days of climbing over and under vehicles are over....besides they do a 20 point check every time I bring it in and wash it....GL

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my third diesel, sometimes regret selling my 7.3 but my '03, 6.0 double cab stops a load much better. The only thing I think no one has mentioned is putting gas in a diesel can be very expensive. I have had a couple drivers do it on Mid range diesels that should have gone 700k or more and ended up doing expensive in frame overhauls on both at about 300k. I like my current F250 diesel
\with only 170K and am hoping it will last me as long as I need to pull something.

zealer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All of the major three have their pros and their cons. Dodge has weaker transmissions. Duramax' like injectors. Fords blow head gaskets, stud replacements. Its a couple grand to fix any of them. Pick your poison type deal, in my opinion.

For diesel, I like Fords. 7.3 is re known to be solid. The 6.0, spend a couple grand fixing the factory problems and it is solid too (reminds me of the GM 6.5L turbo diesel back in the 90's- after a couple upgrades they were pretty solid). At this point, I would imagine most on th used market have been upgraded/fixed accordingly.

Overall, however, I am going to agree with others and recommend a gas truck. Simpler, cheaper and just as reliable. I've done diesel and I've done gas. Diesels can tow pretty much anything and have a certain "cool" factor. But, having owned and used both vehicles, my next truck will definitely be a gasser.

But if you're absolutely set on a diesel, I like Ford.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks for all the great information everyone. There is certainly a lot more to owning a diesel than I had originally thought. I am leaning towards just keeping my Sierra until at least next summer. It looks like my cruiser will be in a slip and I can make due towing my 19' BR with what I have. The diesel is certainly a WANT and not NEED, so I will wait until some of my kids' tuition money is freed up (May 2016 - Woohoo!) for this purchase.