Going Diesel For New (to me) Tow Vehicle

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I am going to get rid of my 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8 (3.42 gears) and buy a used diesel tow vehicle. My current boat is about 4,200 lbs loaded, but I will likely be getting a 24 to 26 ft cruiser over the winter. My budget is only about $20,000 so I know I have to get something around 2005ish (maybe older).

I know next to nothing about diesel trucks so I sure can use some help. Any suggestions -- Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins? 4X4? How many miles should I try to stay under? ...and oh yeah, this will be my daily driver and I need a crew cab since the kids are all grown and don't fit too well in my old extra cab..

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I can't personslly help you here, but I think there are some injectors to stay away from and maybe a few other nuances to keep in mind. Good luck. Are you sure you are up to driving a diesel every day (if you live up north)...some have issues with this and I've known others to do it for the last 10 years

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I am a diesel guy because I have to be.... The BEST advice I can give you is DON'T get a diesel unless you need one....

A gas engine will handle a 26-28' cruiser just fine.

CARiD

Recruit
I would suggest to get a diesel as a working truck in case you need to do a lot of towing. This way you can feel the real advantage of a diesel. The first thing you are going to notice is the maintenance requirements.14 liters of oil at every change plus the price of the filter. Fuel Filter change every 15 or 20K.

I'd recommend you to visit a good shop that is specialized on diesels and show them a truck before pulling the trigger.

Gas powered truck with a bigger engine can probably satisfy your towing needs. + you can get an aftermarket programmer to set up it's engine to towing mode and get more power when it's needed.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
So besides the massive amount of oil at oil change, why not a diesel? My thoughts were:

Can tow a house
Better gas mileage
Lasts forever

What am I missing? Maybe it's just that I have the wrong gasser (4.8), set up incorrectly (big tires and 3.42 gears), but it seems like a diesel would be the way to go.

BTW, I work from home 4 days a week, so my commute is one day a week 86 miles round trip.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I pull my '97 250 Sundancer w/2004 GMC Sierra HD w/6.0 gas. If had to replace that truck today, I'd look for a 1/2 ton crew(3kids) with the 6.2 and tow package.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
There are going to be positives and negatives and everyone has their opinion. In my experience both at home and at work (I tow 8,000 pound trailers with both diesels and 2500HD pickups) I can appreciate what each has to offer.

Yes, diesels can get better fuel economy if it is maintained properly. The most common problem we have is injectors, which plug up often. As soon as one plugs up, your economy goes way down. Plus the cost of diesel is consistently $.50 per gallon more so if you are looking to save money on fuel, that is pretty much a wash. If you do buy a diesel, get one without the diesel exhaust fluid. That whole system is a pain and really expensive to maintain. I believe 2007 is the year they started using those systems.

IMHO, gasoline engines are better daily drivers. Without any load, the fuel economy will not be a problem. Just make sure you get one with a big enough engine, frame, and a tow package. The 2500HD chevys are beasts!

Bottom line, test them, see which one you like the feel of better and just go for it! I don't think you can make a wrong decision as long as you get it checked out first and get one with the proper towing capacity.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I switched over to a Duramax last year from a Silverado with the 5.3 and have been in love ever since. I will state that my truck is not my daily driver and I am glad of that. They do cost more to run, fuel and maintain and are harder to park in tight areas. I Love my Duramax but I don't know that I would want one as a daily driver if I didn't need it. Maybe consider a 2500 gasser, you would more likely find one in your price range.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No doubt, diesels are nice.

However, they cost more upfront, higher maintenance costs, and extra repair costs. They are just more expensive overall. On top of that, diesel costs more than gas now.

Unless you're towing a lot, or just want one, probably hard to justify one to tow a couple times a year with.

Now if you want one and can afford it, then you'll probably be impressed with it, least I was with my Duramax.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Unless you're towing a lot, or just want one, probably hard to justify one to tow a couple times a year with.

Now if you want one and can afford it, then you'll probably be impressed with it, least I was with my Duramax.

In theory, when I get my cruiser, I will be towing it a couple times a month, but less than 10 miles each way. Also, with a better tow vehicle, I will be taking more long trips (700+ miles RT) with the Sea Ray.

I definitely want one, but the question is can I afford one? With a budget of $20k, I could get a gasser a few years newer, but wouldn't the diesel last longer? I am really not concerned with more expensive oil changes. My wife had a Mercedes before her current Toyota and those oil changes were beyond ridiculous.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
You asked what diesel if you chose to buy one. All have their quirks. Ford between 2003 and 2007 had issues with the 6.0 diesel. A lot of that was due to people tuning them and then blowing the head gaskets but they also had problems stock with emission components. 2003 to 2007 duramax chevy's were pretty solid but had some known injector issues. 2005 to 2008 dodge were pretty solid engines. They had some transmission issues. If you can find a 2000 to 2002 ford 7.3 you get a trouble free 300K engine and a solid transmission. No emission stuff on those to worry about. If you can get in a 2008 or newer from any of the big three they are pretty decent. If you cant fix diesel problems on your own figure any issue will cost 2 to 3 times what a gasser would for a fix. All of the big three offer HD pickups you can get for 20K with decent gas power. Diesel mileage is not a selling point. The cost ownership on a diesel outweighs any mileage gain and then some. $60 to $80 bucks if you change the oil yourself. $80 fuel filters. If you lose injectors figure a grand. With all that, I loved my diesels but when I went back to gas I got a much fancier truck at a much lower per mile cost.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And what I've been hearing is the better mileage isn't that much higher than gas. And as mentioned, it cost a fortune to have them worked on by a shop. If the difference was just oil changes then I would say go for it for all the reasons you mentioned. But, that's not the case. 2500 w/3.73 gear, 4.10s if you must, should more than meet your needs.

I know that doesn't answer your ?, but we are giving you information so you know the potential costs of owning a diesel. There is nothing cheap about them.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2006-2007 LBZ duramax's are the pick of the litter according to many, and I was lucky to find mine, but expect to pay for them. Prices for this model are very high.

Some 2006 LLY models were detuned LBZ's, and as such, can be had cheaper.

Personally, the emissions stuff doesn't bother me, and I'd have been fine with a later model emissions Duramax, but as say, the LBZ is considered the best version, and getting harder to come by, so picked mine up when I had the chance.

For 20k though, it'll be a really high mileage one, or an early 2000's lower miles one.

The 01's to 05's had injector problems, which required removing the valve cover to access I believe. Overheating issues were reported by some, but they are still solid trucks.

Can't beat the Allison transmission, best available imo. LLY's and LBZ' s were the beginnings of the six speed transmissions.

I have a jon boat, a single axle trailer, and a popup camper. The truck below was complete overkill, but I likey. 😀

It'll last longer, but with you not daily driving it, it wouldn't be that big of a point to me.

It will pull better than an equivalent gas motor, no getting around that though.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes SD the problem is that you have the really really wrong gas truck..... You have the smallest motor available with terrible gears an a lift w big tires....

New injectors for my gas jeep were $160... New injectors for my diesel truck were $2000

New brake pads, rotors, front wheel bearings, oil, filter, and antifreeze was IIRC $1600 for parts only .... I did the work....

You can pretty much double maintenance cost.

IF diesels were the slam dunk win scenario that so many people think there wouldn't be any gas pickups....

A 5.7, 6.0, 8.1, even a 5.3 gas motor with the right gears would tow your boat anywhere you want to go with no problem whatsoever.

Heck your current truck would do it if you had air bags and 4.56 gears but a 3/4 ton would be a far better choice.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
You are right Kevin. You paid more on brake and wheel bearing PARTS than I did for a rebuilt tranny on my GMC. I don't think my budget can take it...at least not until one of my kids graduates from college. I could buy a pretty nice rig every year with what I have been paying for 2 kids.

I will look into a gas truck with about 50-60K miles and see what I can find. If that doesn't work out, I can always throw the 4.56s in my old GMC and use it for another year.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i've only had Dodge so can't speak to the others. First was a 2003 (sig pic) with 53k on it when I bought in 06. Sold to my brother this year with 285k on the clock, 90% highway and about 10% of that towing. Tranny at 200K. I pay to have oil changed and its $85. Brakes not too bad; never had to have rotors done. nothing else major ever needed I run some 'magic juice' thru mine every now and then - no injector problems in the 10 years I've had diesels. 22 mpg on hwy, 15 towing boat in sig pic.

Now have 2005, I bought with 75K miles this spring, dually long bed and I get 18 mpg on it.

Stay 2006 or older if you do it, but really doesn't sound like you need it just a good 1500 or a 2500 gasser.

I did it because I wanted to, plus with the miles I put on I want a long lasting truck; the current should last until I'm dead.

DBG40

Cadet
For a truck, I will buy nothing but a diesel. Period. It costs almost nothing to maintain, has go s and gobs of torque, and gets outstanding fuel mileage. I bought my current dodge 2500 new in 2003, and it has not broken or let me down once. We drive it to the Keys for dive trips, set the cruise at 70, and it'll hold 28 MPG all fay long, and it's the most comfortable vehicle I own. Full set of brakes front and rear with rotors were $490 last month, I do my oil changes, and they run about $45 twice a year.

Last edited: