What type of service should you do on your trailer? Replace bearings?

bigdee

Commander
I am going to give you my 2 cents here. As you stated the trailer has about 100 miles on it and was stored inside. Don't listen to other posters here who want you to replace all these different parts. It's rediculous. Until you tear into the brakes, you don't know what needs to be fixed or replaced. The surge brakes are probably something very simple. Fix them. As far as the bearings, no, do not replace them. They are almost for sure just fine. Jack up the trailer and feel and listen. Do they seem smooth? Then grease them.

^^^X2^^^ Do an inspection. The wheel bearings are similar to the ones in automobiles and no one gives a hoot about them!

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A note: Thse suggesting brakes be removed if not needed in your state. I see you tow to NY. NY requires brakes on trailers.

On the bearings, after cleanining, look for any signs of discoloration on the races and rollers, if there is any pitting and if there is any scoring on the spindle where the seal rides on. If none is detected, re-grease with good grease, install new seals and you shouls be good to go.

philipp10

Seaman
The blindly throwing money at something is always tough... On one hand you don't want to waste money. On the other hand you don't want to fear for your life every time you want to go somewhere... you want to be able to enjoy it! Seems like $70ish for a new master, and $10 for new wheel bearings may not be "throwing money" at it if that's what it takes to be comfortable with it. Even new hubs are only $20-35. I also don't know how much brake calipers are, but they were $24 at autozone when I replaced the calipers on my 2nd gen camaro z28. Thats not to say that money doesn't matter, so in principle I agree. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

and sometimes "fixing" what ain't broke leads to doing it wrong and a breakdown anyway...