Towing with a Bronco II

Joolz

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Hi all, here's an update on this 7 month old thread: shortly after someone in this thread suggested a Jimmy as a replacement for my B2, that is exactly what I did: went out and found me a very nice 2005 Jimbo. The B2 just didn't cut it, age was getting the best of it and it sure was not an appropriate tow vehicle for a boat this heavy. It towed a 10' tent trailer just fine but that was a lot lighter. Not wanting to jeopardize my family on a vehicle that I now fully realize was not an appropriate TV I reluctantly let go of the old Bronco. But hey, I kept the nice mud tires that are now in the Jimmy, so in a way the B2 lives on.

The Jimmy: not two weeks went by since I started this thread that I came across an ad for a black 05 for a killer price. Best of all - and I cannot stress this enough as it always puts a smile in my face - it's a 5 speed standard!

It has a clutch! A heavy duty one, at that. 4x4 too. And as an added bonus, it's the smaller 2 door model, which looks very nice. Nothing wrong with it other than a couple of hundred bux spent replacing the ball joints, a regular problem with these. It's been running great and in our October trip to the lake, it did absolutely fine. Way better than the automatic minivan. Which shouldn't be a surprise as the Jimmy has a 4.3L engine, compared to the minivan's 3.2. But the biggest difference I found was with the transmission. It performed absolutely as expected, unlike the automatic minivan that I was struggling to understand and came to a crawl going uphill. Likely due to driver error, as I simply do not understand automatics or how to drive them things.

Anyhow, thanks to the great advice I got from the folks here, the Bronco is now gone and not missed. The Jimmy has been a terrific vehicle to drive around, despite its thirst for gas (man, that 4.3L is hard on gas). So a big thanks to those that took their time to share their input in this thread. It was much appreciated and as stated, listened to.

Attachments

• photo242429.jpg
    photo242429.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0