Wiring questions on a trailer refurb

Hello All,
I am going to have my trailer sandblasted and repainted and afterwards I want to rewire it up with new wiring and wanted to find out if anyone has any suggestions on what gauge wire to use for starters as what's in their now looks incredibly thin and brittle, and what to expect when running the wires.

Thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well first things first Metalhead...:welcome: to iboats. Always glad to have a new member join us...

They actually make trailer wiring kits in both filament bulbs type and LED setups. So decide which you prefer and buy the kit for that decision. The proper gauge wires (and colored wires) will come with the kit. If you decide to piece part the trailer lights and wire, then buy trailer wire that is already color coded for such a project and again the wire gauges will be exactly what you need. I personally would go the total trailer kit and not worry about piece parting it. But that is just me. If you decide to just buy a single roll of wire and forgo the color coded trailer wiring, then I would buy 16 gauge wire and use that. JMHO! Here is a typical flat plug trailer wire diagram;

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I'm in the process of doing the same thing....I purchased a LED kit and the LED side markers. Yes LED's cost more, but in the long run they pay for themselves.
When wiring....It All Starts With A Good GROUND!

Thanks for the welcome GM, and that makes it very easy to figure out, New to all this so you'll see me probably posting a lot,lol

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would have to agree....just get a kit for your trailer length. I did mine last year with LED lights, everything was plug and play, complete harness with side lights. Those LED lights are really bright and no bulbs to blow out. Nobody has any excuse that they could not see me now!!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I rewired my trailer about four years ago and used a kit to do it. If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way. And like the others here, I think LEDs are the way to go. They may cost more but you'll probably only have to buy once.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor.
Run a ground wire to each light.
Do not depend on using the trailer frame to ground the lights.

The majority of trailer light problems, are ground related.

And yes, they sell wiring kits that include a ground wire in them. You just have to look to find them.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If your trailer is a tilt trl...there lies the problem with getting a good ground. Just run a short ground jumper wire from the trailer tongue, past the pivot point to the trl main frame. Tlt trailer are notorious for developing grounding issues as time goes by. No need to run extra ground wire to each light.. Here is my trl waiting to be sand blasted and primed....Purchased it in Central WI, years of early season Walleye fishing/road salt just killed it, going to be like new when done.
20pomye.jpg

2nqegrd.jpg

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the tongue is bolted to the trailer frame it is best to run a wire around that junction as well.

Richmond2000

Seaman
I would recommend LED lighting AND a ground to each light firstly both of those is HOW "big rig" trailers are wired and secondly will be WAY more reliable in the long haul as even your ground side is SEALED from corrosion is totally wired and NOT relying on a bolt in to exposed chassis for the ground which WILL CORODE

I will add if you decide to NOT guy a kit you can buy a spool of trailer wiring
most commercial truck "chrome shops" and commercial trailer dealers have a WIDE selection of lights that are all DOT in both LED and incandescent
http://www.grote.com/family/submers...lers-under-80-wide/?prodcat=rv-marine-utility
utility trailer lighting kits from GROTE

Last edited:

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To simplify the ground issue; Every trailer I have redone was bolted in sections, when and if you see that== ground each section. A thru bolt connecting two pieces will not establish a ground. It took me a day to figure this out very frustrating. Davey

thumpar

Admiral
I have had 2 trailers now and never had a grounding issue using the trailer itself. All the vehicles on the road use the same system.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
No question about it....just buy the kit for your size trailer. A full kit will have everything you need... lights, connectors and properly colored wires . No guessing, no splices to corrode later to haunt you. LED is the way to go. No sockets to rust out. One dip in the water with your still hot regular filament bulb and "pop" ...time for a new bulb.

Bondo

Staff member
I have had 2 trailers now and never had a grounding issue using the trailer itself. All the vehicles on the road use the same system.

Ayuh,.... 'n they all have continuity straps, ground wires connectin' all their various pieces to a single ground plane,.....

Ya just can't have to many grounds on a wagon, especially anywhere it wiggles,....

In My experiences, Led lights are very, Very ground sensitive,....
Much more so than filiment bulbs, which of course still need a ground to work,.....