Help with Trailer Leaf Springs

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone, need some help on ordering some new leaf-springs for my 16' single axle Calkins boat trailer. The springs are the C-Hook/Open Slipper type. My first question is when measuring the old spring is it from the center of the eye(front) to the end of hook/slipper(rear). Next question would be when installed correctly the bolt on the rear end of spring should fit tight against the hook?
Any and all advise is appreciate. DSC01087.JPG DSC01088.JPG DSC01089.JPG DSC01090.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I am amazed that those leaf springs didn't come off looking at the pictures. Seem the slide section is right on the edge. I would have though the hook section would have come in from the top instead of the bottom giving a better setup against coming off. But obviously they didn't come off so what do I know. :facepalm: If you have a tractor Supply or even a Northern Tool store near by, you could take one side off and carry it with you to get the proper replacements. JMHO!

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the replies guys, i did a quick measure yesterday of one spring and it was about 27" 1/2" then i ck online for some new ones and the closest to that sz. in that style would be 26"1/4" so i guess these springs really flatten out a bit!

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Leaf springs loose their factory arch (re: Flatten out) and become brittle in time. Thus, always best to replace leaf springs older that 15 years.

For measuring, I would measure eye to eye distance. For measuring confirmation and pricing, contact http://www.etrailer.com/ folks. They will confirm how to measure and provide their pricing.

Note: Many trailer suspension companies don't list slipper leaf springs on their websites. Thus, always best to call for custom order and pricing details - regardless of which suspension seller you do pick.

Also.. If you can't find reasonable priced slipper leaf spring replacements, do consider converting to normal double eye with shackle replacement instead. Many welding shops can easily convert factory slipper system to much better "more common" double eye leaf spring pack system.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Remember to grease the sides of them when you install the new ones. The grease seeps between the leafs over time and minimizes creaking.