Would it be possible to convert this trailer for this boat

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
Safely of course. Got both for free and boat will have a 5hp Merc Force

20150730_140307-1_zpsp8rvb0ue.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Nope not really... That trailer needs to be almost twice it's current length to haul that boat....

You might be able to get away with a super long tongue but that's a jetski trailer.... You would be better off doing a quick fix up on it with some new short 2x4 bunks n a little black outdoor carpet and sell it... Then buy a trailer that fits the boat.... Maybe for less than you get out of this one.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Nope not really... That trailer needs to be almost twice it's current length to haul that boat....

You might be able to get away with a super long tongue but that's a jetski trailer.... You would be better off doing a quick fix up on it with some new short 2x4 bunks n a little black outdoor carpet and sell it... Then buy a trailer that fits the boat.... Maybe for less than you get out of this one.

^ I agree. If it were me I would sell it and look for something the proper size that might just need a little sprucing up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is a small jet ski trailer that looks like it would fit my wooster hellion (7' long). you need a bit longer trailer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you continue to use the trailer the way it is, you will beat the back end of the boat to death. What do you have, about 3 inches clearance? At least level the trailer to tow.

Itsnotme1988

Cadet
Yeah I haven't towed it all (only had a 2"ball in the pic and it needs a 1 7/8). I did order an 8"drop to level ot, 6" in that pic, and will pull it with the car more often than not. Was also in a ditch so it looks worse than it is. It fits in back of the truck fine (it's a 12') just rocks too bad right now and straps slide down. What length trailer should I look for? Not scared to modify if needed short of welding? 4x10 from HF work?

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
trailer should be at least as long as the boat.

12' boat needs a 12'-15- long trailer.

Check the DOT trailer regs and you will find there is a max distance the cargo can be past the trailer lights.
Basically, the stern of the boat should be at the end of the trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Rule of thumb is trailer length from coupler to last cross member should be a minimum of 110% of the over all length of the boat.

On shorter boats I add an extra foot or two.

I would be looking for a trailer at least 14' long for that boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't tow that one at all as it is... The tongue weight will be incredibly low and it is likely to start swaying badly on you.... Possibly causing a crash.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
.My 2cts....That is not the proper size trailer for that boat....I would recommend that you clean that trl up , then sell it, purchase a good used trl of the proper size.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
To answer your question, YES, it can be made to work with your boat. However, the amount of material and welding and effort would certainly preclude doing that. As previously stated, clean that trailer up well and make it look like new and sell it off. Then take that money and apply a little to it and buy another proper size used or new trailer for your boat. JMHO!

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put longer bunks on it, bolt the lights to the bunks, and pull it with that truck. If it starts swayin, bolt a weight and spare tire to the front of it.

Least that's what I'd have done, lol.

Agree though, need a longer trailer.