replacing brakes the whole system.

mmhyson

Seaman
hi Guys. I have stopped keeping my boat at the marina and have started towing it to locations. the brakes and housing were removed from the previous owner about 5 years ago,but towing twice a year it didn't bother me not having brakes. I unscrewed the tongue reservior and it looks like its full of rust. what are my best options for getting these brakes to work, I fell unsafe towing especially with my family in the truck. the trailer is a 1998 venture vrt4000 trailer. i tow a 23 ft donzi w/ cc. is there a way to clean the resevior? any points in the right direction will be appreciated. thanks Mike h

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am sure you can clean the rust out of the reservoir, but with the master cylinder piston sitting empty, I'm betting it will never work without a total rebuild at the very least. So I see you buying everything new again if you want to go back to a workable brake system. I wouldn't trust anything less myself... JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep figure on replacing everything ... Master, wheel assy's or calipers, lines...

Faced with the same issue I chose electric brakes as they were MUCH cheaper and I actually prefer then to surge....

That may or may not be your cup of tea tho.

mmhyson

Seaman
problem i have is the brakes aren't there any more. how do i find what size i need?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your in fresh water you can go with drums, with salt water, go with discs. Assume $175-$200 for actuator and$250-325 for disc brake setup.

I would get a new master cylinder for your current actuator, the shop for a deal on the brakes/hubs

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Electric brakes are not affected by water BUT if you are in salt drum be they electric or hydro can be problematic to say the least.

superbenk

Commander
I put a whole kit on a trailer from championtrailers.com. It was a Kodiak surge/disc system & ran me ~$600 complete. If you don't have the mounting bracket welded to the axle anymore (or ever) you may need to consider replacing the axle too (~$200-$500).

mmhyson

Seaman
maybe ill do a step by step thread when i do this . the brake lines should be ok if i blow them out right?

NYBo

Admiral
maybe ill do a step by step thread when i do this . the brake lines should be ok if i blow them out right?

I wouldn't count on it. Just replace them. They're cheaper enough.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I redid all my brake lines with copper-nickle brake lines. Under $75 for 50' of line and 15 brass tube nuts

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Eh for mine I just plug in the electric n go... ;-)

The bleeding process will depend on the coupler/ master cylinder installed.

With any luck there will be instructions on the manufacturer's website...

I have a vacuum bleeder from h/f... Not a hand pump but actually hooks to an air compressor and makes vacuum as long as you hold the trigger.... Also comes with a bottle that keeps the master topped off automatically. It works GREAT and IIRC cost me about $20.

superbenk

Commander
any tips on bleeding the line once eveerything is hooked up?

I've done it now with a helper pushing on the tongue while I dunked the bleeder hose in a container of brake fluid as well as doing it with the vacuum (Mity Vac) 1-person bleeder. Both options work. I've heard/read that using a positive pressure 1-person bleeder is even better (pressurizes the master cylinder while you dunk the bleeder hose from the caliper in a container of fluid to bleed). Given the complexity of coordinating 2 people and the poor seals I had trouble with on the 1-person vacuum setup, I'll probably consider a pressurized 1-person bleeder kit in the future.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I prefer electric brakes also but there's a possibility I'll be dunking mine in salt water sometimes so I just ordered the surge brake kit. I'll send you a PM.