UHMW For Trailer Bunks

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I was at the ramp yesterday and saw a trailer using UHMW for bunks, no carpet. The UHMW had a piece of Galvanized channel on bottom for structural support.

My trailer has 2 x 6 PT with Carpet.

Is UHMW widely used for bunks? It would last longer i imagine.

If you use UHMW, would you put carpet over it? I personally do not want rollers or Teflon on mine but the UHMW seems like it might be a good idea. I have never seen another using it so I am curious as to the durability and practicality of using it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've had it on my trailer for 14 years, it works well, with about the right amount of slip. Covering it with carpet would defeat the the purpose of using it, it would be useless at that point.

Thalasso

Commander
I was at the ramp yesterday and saw a trailer using UHMW for bunks, no carpet. The UHMW had a piece of Galvanized channel on bottom for structural support.

My trailer has 2 x 6 PT with Carpet.

Is UHMW widely used for bunks? It would last longer i imagine.

If you use UHMW, would you put carpet over it? I personally do not want rollers or Teflon on mine but the UHMW seems like it might be a good idea. I have never seen another using it so I am curious as to the durability and practicality of using it.

Like this?
No need for galvanized channel unless there is something wrong with your bunks. A 11000 lb boat sets on these

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks interesting. But I would serious route the edges with a router and a 1/2" or so round over bit to keep any possibility of cutting into and hull or finish. And if it has much flex, you would have to strengthen it with some type metal...obviously on the bottom of course. I would also use carriage bolts counter-sunk below the surface installed from the top side. Stainless steel hardware and I can easily see that working for years. But honestly, I had bunks made from wood that lasted for decades as well. So six of one, half dozen of another... JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
UHMW can not replace the bunks, however makes a great covering for the bunks. Google bunk slicks. the natural (white) is not UV stable, however the black with 25% post consumer content is, and it is also less expensive.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did similar to Thalasso but mine boat is a 16' aluminum. The bunks are 2x 4 on edge so I cut 3/4" off the upper edge. UHMW was 3/4" thick and I ripped in on a table saw to 1 1/2" wide. Did a 1/2" round over on the router table and counter sunk holes.Screwed it directly to the bunk edge to bring me back to the same height. Much easier to push the boat off and winch it up. No need for support as the UHMW is directly on the wooden bunk. When it's time to replace the wood, just transfer the UHMW to the new bunks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If the bottom of the boat were completely flat lengthwise steel with plastic could work but many need the bunks to flex or twist to fit correctly so plastic over wood works better....

Btw HDPE is cheaper than UHMWPE and plenty good enough.

High Density
vs
Ultra High Molecular Weight

Polyethylene

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I have a converted roller trailer. The bunks are 4 X 4 and supported by the original 2 X 2 steel roller bogeys. I ripped the bunks to match the 22 1/ degree vee of the hull and used about three cans of Pledge. The wood absorbs it. . Boat slides off slicker 'n snot and cranks onto the trailer just as easy. Every once in a while I spray the bunks with another can of Pledge