Transom tie downs

Fed

Commander
Our regs say load restraint's strength should be at least the following.
Note, that means the strength and NOT pre-tension. It's hard to overcome the urge to crank them up until they're really tight but think about it.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...wing/10025888-why-did-the-bunk-breach-my-hull

20% Vertical
80% Forward
50% Backward
50% Sideways

Usually the winch post, safety chain and trailer design takes care of all those forces aside from the vertical at the rear hence the tie downs.
Tensioning a boat down to increase friction is crazy, considering we try & make the trailers as frictionless as possible, and it can damage the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Not everything that is more expensive is always better...

Being "the standard" on a high dollar package means absolutely nothing about the safety of the product.... It simply means that the person (or people) in charge of assembling the package believes that they will sell more and or make more profit by using them.

I wouldn't and didn't go so far to say they were total junk and have even considered them in the past but having a bulk of strap wound on the drum by light pressure makes it prone to loosening as the vehicle travels and hits bumps.... Also having the working parts concealed makes it impossible to tell if they are wearing or corroding until they fail...

I still feel they are a poor choice COMPARED to an actual ratchet strap which would be cheaper, stronger, more durable, and easily inspected for condition, again IMHO

(In My Humble Opinion)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
having a bulk of strap wound on the drum by light pressure makes it prone to loosening as the vehicle travels and hits bumps.... Also having the working parts concealed makes it impossible to tell if they are wearing or corroding until they fail...
Two good points

jhnmdahl

Cadet
My boat is around 4000 lbs, and has the 2500 lb ratcheting-type transom straps (Fulton, rated 833 lb. load capacity and 2,500 lb. break strength). I can't imagine a situation in which they would face that much load, as gravity really holds the boat to the trailer, and the straps are there to keep it from shifting around.

Pony

Rear Admiral
3 years ago I bolted a set of G2 BoatBuckles to my trailer and have never looked back. These things are absolutely great. A simple press of the lever and they loosen and retract out of the way. They get very tight....tighter than I could ever get the previous standard non ratchet style, and they have never ever loosened even a little bit over the course of hundreds and hundreds of miles.

I will NEVER trailer a boat again using something else.