Transom tie downs

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not sure of the strength of my transom tie downs and was thinking of replacing them with those easier to use ratcheting type. My question is the strength of them. The stronger ones are rated for breaking strength of 2,500 lbs with a load strength of 833 lbs. Two of them would equal 1,666 lbs. And my boat is somewhere around 2,500 lbs. I know the boat is also tied at the bow, but what if that gives out? Will the transom ties hold the boat on the trailer?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Gravity will keep it on. Do you tie down the front or just use winch strap? I do both

robert graham

Admiral
Stronger is better....think of the weight of the boat if you're driving down the highway and have a head-on wreck.....the G forces will multiply the boat's weight, and you sure wouldn't want the boat to separate from the trailer in an accident....

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm not sure of the strength of my transom tie downs and was thinking of replacing them with those easier to use ratcheting type. My question is the strength of them. The stronger ones are rated for breaking strength of 2,500 lbs with a load strength of 833 lbs. Two of them would equal 1,666 lbs. And my boat is somewhere around 2,500 lbs. I know the boat is also tied at the bow, but what if that gives out? Will the transom ties hold the boat on the trailer?

The ratings on those are kind of weird. The factory ones on my 4500lb boat are the 2" 2500lb variety and that is as strong as they get. So you would be fine with them.

These are the ones that come on my factory Malibu trailer. No issues with them at all.
http://www.starbrite.com/item/heavy-duty-retractable-tie-down?category_id=549

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have Boatbuckle G2 retractable tie-downs. Rated for 2500 lbs. breaking strength, 833 lbs. working load. I love 'em. We tow long distances over really bumpy roads ad these things have held up really well for the one season I've had them installed.

I'm going to buy one to use as for a bow safety strap. They really speed up the launch/retrieval process.

Maclin

Admiral
They need to be able to hold the trailer up to the boat and not the boat "down", so trailer weight is most significant factor. They are pretty useless in a head-on wreck because the bow usually comes up and then transom tiedowns just move forward and down on their radius.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had a rear end collision many years ago. The s-hooks on the ends of the transom ties straightened out a bit but never became unfastened. The strap didn't break. the tongue of the trailer cracked in half and the boat hit the back of the car. The bow tie down kept the bow on the winch stand. The boat went flying but it never left the frame of the trailer.

BTW, ratchet straps suck. They constantly need to be tightened. I had a pair once and threw them away.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
either way, the transom tiedowns keep the boat together with the trailer in an impact, and keep the boat from landing on your head (or worse, someone else's head in the incoming lane)

oldjeep

Admiral
I had a rear end collision many years ago. The s-hooks on the ends of the transom ties straightened out a bit but never became unfastened. The strap didn't break. the tongue of the trailer cracked in half and the boat hit the back of the car. The bow tie down kept the bow on the winch stand. The boat went flying but it never left the frame of the trailer.

BTW, ratchet straps suck. They constantly need to be tightened. I had a pair once and threw them away.

Never had them be any looser than they started out, and they are standard equipment on every modern tow boat I've seen. What brand/size were you using?

jkust

Rear Admiral
A bit of a reality check here. I have/had the 2" 2500lb/each on my 3500lb or so boat. A few years back while trailering I hit a spare tire on a rim in the road with the trailer while driving 65mph. Among the carnage to the trailer, one of the transom straps (these were high quality straps not the cheapos you get at a sport store) broke like it was nothing. The trailer protected the boat but sacrificed itself in the process. I learned a lot about physics that day and things that I though were extremely robust and overpurchased all failed. My point I suppose is that get the best you can and hope for the best if an emergency situation actually happens.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I take my tie downs off my boat and put them in a locker out of the sun. I personally would not use those because they are out in the weather all the time.

I also replace my straps every few years. They do deteriorate over time.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
They are only out in the weather all the time if that is where your trailer is ;) Same reason some folks tires fall apart in a few years and others seem to last forever.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
They need to be able to hold the trailer up to the boat and not the boat "down", so trailer weight is most significant factor. They are pretty useless in a head-on wreck because the bow usually comes up and then transom tiedowns just move forward and down on their radius.

+1.. that said it best....

straps are only there to assist with "bouncing", so boat does not shift much.. standard highway bump does not exert that much pressure.. buy 3 straps.. use one of them to help take pressure off trim rams when your drive is in the up/trailering pos...ie one hook through ski ring, down under the cavitation plate and back to the other ring, tighten snug and your good.. less pressure on rams during highway bounce too

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They are only out in the weather all the time if that is where your trailer is ;) Same reason some folks tires fall apart in a few years and others seem to last forever.
That's true if you have a small boat and keep it in your garage.

My brother is picking up a new custom trailer for his 26' Formula. Those ratchet straps were offered to him as an option. When he declined them they said that was a good choice.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Never had them be any looser than they started out, and they are standard equipment on every modern tow boat I've seen. What brand/size were you using?

Same here. I've not had any problem with mine loosening.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
My transom straps are the cam style and they work great never had a problem I also drive very defensive I brake super early

jkust

Rear Admiral
Forgot to mention in my little scenario above, the s hook on the transom tiedown that broke straightened out as well which I never thought could be possible given they were hefty s hooks. Oddly enough, the eyelet on the transom of the boat and the boat itself was unphased.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well I never saw OEM straps. The straps for every boat I ever bought were dealer installed options. But then again if they are std. on "packages" like Trackers then I don't know.

This was a few years ago and I don't remember the mfg. Other than that one mistake, I have only used the cam buckle type.

oldjeep

Admiral
Cant say I ever saw them on a tracker, but Malibu, mastercraft, nautique and even bass boats come right from the factory with them.