Boat Buddy Bow Lock

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have the Boat Buddy bow lock installed on their boat trailer and if so does it work? I have a 92 Tracker Pro Deep V 17 and was considering this since it's a pain to lean over and try to crank the winch handle, I run out of arm length when handle is on the down side lol.

Tony

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
This gets brought up now and again and the general consensus is that they are crappy.

Instead of leaning over and cranking, get out of the boat and crank.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This gets brought up now and again and the general consensus is that they are crappy.

Instead of leaning over and cranking, get out of the boat and crank.
Yeah that's what I had to do, get out and get wet, the tongue on this trailer is super short, no room what so ever to step on really, my Skeeter boat was more low profile compared to this Deep V 17 in which the trolling motor is on the same side as the winch crank on the Deep V so that adds a little more to leaning over also.

I just thought I would ask because the reviews I've read for the Boat Buddy are mixed reviews some say save your money it's crap while others say it's the best thing since sliced bread,commenting that the bad reviews are people that don't have it adjusted right or don't have the trailer far enough in the water or to far back down in the water. IDK

Tony

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
maybe what you need is a swing away tongue kit.... add a couple feet to the to the tongue and put a walk plank on it.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thought about that to and I may do that, just thought the Boat Buddy might be a cheaper route to go if it worked.

Tony

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I`ve been using one for about three years to load my 20` Proline center console and it works great. Yes after you do your install, you most likely need to adjust the winch stand so that the "trigger" will activate. (by the bow eye)
They come in a couple sizes and I bought the larger one just because it looked beefier.
You will need to line up straight coming up the trailer to hit the sweet spot. It took me a couple of tries at first, now I hit it first time.