Side marker lens replacement?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
My old trailer is in need of some replacement side and rear marker lenses. Below is a pic of what a good one looks like. They are approx 2"h x 4"w. I've looked online everywhere and can't seem to find anything that resembles them. Any suggestions? I don't want to have to replace the entire light assembly if I can help it...the bulb sockets are working fine. Thanks

Attachments

• photo228650.jpg
    photo228650.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
am_dew, the only thing I can tell you is to look and see if there is any company's name or marking on it and contact them to see if they still make replacement parts for that light. Other then that, you may have to change them out to newer styles... :noidea:

Thalasso

Commander
He needs tail lights that have a reflector (on the side) that lights at night along with a yellow one at the tongue.(Both sides) Now if the trailer is over a certain length he will need one ( yellow) half way down the trailer also

alldodge

Staff member
He needs tail lights that have a reflector (on the side) that lights at night along with a yellow one at the tongue.(Both sides) Now if the trailer is over a certain length he will need one ( yellow) half way down the trailer also

I have misread post more times then I can to mention here but, the title of the post is "Side marker lens replacement"

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
That isn't a light, it's a reflector... Peel n stick

But will the peel and stick reflectors have an opening on the back of them to allow the light to pass through I wonder? You can't see it in my pic but there is a plastic housing behind the lens that holds a T10 bulb socket.

Bondo

Staff member
Any suggestions? I don't want to have to replace the entire light assembly if I can help it...

Ayuh,..... Like it or not, the SoP is to replace the whole assembly, complete,......

Never even seen replacement marker light lens for sale,.... Never,....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
it's just double sided tape... very easy to cut a hole... that said, I've never seen a light behind one of those reflectors????? is the pic you posted actually of your trailer? can you post a pic of one of the broken ones?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

it's just double sided tape... very easy to cut a hole... that said, I've never seen a light behind one of those reflectors????? is the pic you posted actually of your trailer? can you post a pic of one of the broken ones?

Yes, the pic I posted is of my trailer. This pic is the light from the back side. Sorry I am not at home where I have much better pics, but the front is essentially just a flat plate with a hole in it for the plastic socket assembly in the pic below. A stick on thin reflector will not be very good since the light will only show through the hole in the flat plate and won't illuminate behind the entire reflector. Mind you, this is a 1972 trailer so it is not like today's trailers. :)

Attachments

• photo228671.jpg
    photo228671.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:sorry: this isn't the first time I make a mistake on here and I am certain it won't be my last time either. Sorry for the stupid post... :facepalm:

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
:sorry: this isn't the first time I make a mistake on here and I am certain it won't be my last time either. Sorry for the stupid post... :facepalm:

No problem as far as I am concerned! I appreciated your response.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here is a cropped pic showing a side marker plate from the front side...I have outlined the actual plate. This one is also missing the plastic assembly that holds the bulb socket but I'm not worried about that...I would just like to find a replacement low profile lens for it and a few others that have broken lenses.

Attachments

• photo228674.jpg
    photo228674.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
my suggestion... stop fooling around with trying to fix 40 year old marker lights.

you can get new waterproof lights for $3-$8 each depending on if you want led's or not.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
my suggestion... stop fooling around with trying to fix 40 year old marker lights.

you can get new waterproof lights for $3-$8 each depending on if you want led's or not.

That very well may be what I end up doing, but I am willing to put a little effort into finding something reasonably suitable to replace the broken lenses. I'd rather do that then spend time mounting and wiring new lights. I know that may seem like a simple job to some, but it's never simple for me for a myriad of reasons. :)

Thalasso

Commander
I have misread post more times then I can to mention here but, the title of the post is "Side marker lens replacement"
:facepalm:
Looked like the tail light to me. Looked again and it looks like it's just ahead of the tire

AMBER 3 Diode LED Clearance Side Marker Light Utility boat RV cargo Camper Trailer. Oval LED light with reflector for clearance, side marker or identification light. E-Bay $4.00 ea.

Last edited:

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

:facepalm:
Looked like the tail light to me. Looked again and it looks like it's just ahead of the tire

AMBER 3 Diode LED Clearance Side Marker Light Utility boat RV cargo Camper Trailer. Oval LED light with reflector for clearance, side marker or identification light. E-Bay $4.00 ea.

Yea, sorry about the pic -- I wanted to get as close in to the light and so I cropped out the rest of the trailer in the original pic. Here is a wide pic of the trailer that was taken some years ago before a couple of the lenses got broken.

Attachments

• photo228687.jpg
    photo228687.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I found something that looks pretty promising: http://tinyurl.com/npx77e5 but I have a dumb question....these are 3 wire meant to be taillights -- can I just hook up two of the wires so they will just be clearance lights?

Last edited: