Any experience towing with these SUVs?

oldjeep

Admiral
Have any open questions remaining? Weigh your boat and figure out if the 3500lb thing with the Durango matters. If it is over 3500 then id move on to something capable of towing it without WD.

Volphin

Lieutenant
The Durango is a strong tow vehicle. My 01 is used exclusively for that very purpose. I haul a loaded 28 foot car hauler almost every weekend in the Fall. Never had an issue. I use the 5.9L, but the newer ones have the 5.7. Tugs my 21 ft boat around like it's not even back there.

oldjeep

Admiral
The Durango is a strong tow vehicle. My 01 is used exclusively for that very purpose. I haul a loaded 28 foot car hauler almost every weekend in the Fall. Never had an issue. I use the 5.9L, but the newer ones have the 5.7. Tugs my 21 ft boat around like it's not even back there.

Engine/trans is definitely not an issue. My 09 Ram have the same 5.7L package they use in the newer Durangos. The limiting factor from his research is Dodge saying that the 2011 requires a WD hitch for anything over 3500lbs, which points to a limitation in the suspension or perhaps unibody construction.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
My 1802 Bayliner Capri Cuddy, I'm sure is heavier than the OP's boat, my 3rd GEN 2014 Durango V6 pulled it with ease, As stated before, the 2nd GEN Durango was built on the Dodge/Ram 1500 P/U chassis.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's 5000#, I double checked it because the dealer was telling me 5500#. I just found a V8 2010 Explorer, it's only the base model but it might be worth checking it out as the price is pretty good. 7100# towing so way more then enough.

Different animal. 2011 was a completely NEW vehicle. Share nothing but the name.

3.5L V-6.=288 HP. FWD based with AWD/4WD optional. Eco Boost V-6 (3.5L) available=350 HP. Well proven in F-150. The Explorer is a ROCKET with the Eco Boost.

The new chassis handles loads very well. I know, I've towed/owned with three of them. My old Larson was a HEAVY boat. Too Heavy.

All 2011 & up were seven or six seat, depending on interior configuration.

The Eco Boost versions actually achieve better fuel economy-non towing-than their naturally aspirated 3.5L counterparts. By a good 2-3 MPG. Eco Boost versions will average 23 MPG + (if you can keep your foot off of the joy pedal).

The naturally aspirated 3.5L will deliver a solid 21 MPG in the AWD/4WD version.

I have 90,000+ total miles in three versions of them to attest to my findings+

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, good writeup about the 2011 model. I wondering if the suspension is the same on all models, we were looking at the SXT model.

I believe so...When I was looking last year, I just wanted to get the BASE SXT model 3.6 Pentstar 8 speed auto, then put a aftermarket bolt on frame hitch. Well when you happen to take your wife along you end with a LIMITED, tow package, leather,navigation system and ALL the other goodies she likes, stickered out just over 40k, out the door just under 32K......I could have drove off with a new SXT for just under 25K.....

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe so...When I was looking last year, I just wanted to get the BASE SXT model 3.6 Pentstar 8 speed auto, then put a aftermarket bolt on frame hitch. Well when you happen to take your wife along you end with a LIMITED, tow package, leather,navigation system and ALL the other goodies she likes, stickered out just over 40k, out the door just under 32K......I could have drove off with a new SXT for just under 25K.....

Wow wish I could get that kind of pricing in Canada, $26K gets me a 2013 SXT with 85000KMs on it. A used 2014 Limited is $41K and you'd be lucky if they'd take $1000 off the price. Such a different market here, we get shafted all the time.

I figured the air suspension would be an option, the Citadel model is way out of our budget. Not the end of the world though.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Canadian dollar being worth 30% less than US is the difference.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's only recent, we were still way higher then it was closer to being on par. Especially if you can get $8k off sticker, never heard anyone get that much around here.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We decided on a 2011 Durango, we pick it up today and I have the need to pull a small cargo trailer this weekend so its good timing.

Thanks for the opinions and hopefully we are happy with this vehicle.