Any experience towing with these SUVs?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Almost every state in the SOUTH is 70mph...60-65 on 2 lane...Texas is 75 65-70 on 2 lane....BTW...the Durango with the tow package is set up with a sway bar. I recommend A Durango to the OP instead of the JAP JUNK or the over priced/over rated GM stuff...Just my opinion.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I was looking at the Durango manual and it says to use a WDH for trailers over 3500#.

In my EZ loader manual it says NOT to use a WDH with surge brakes which I have and a swing tongue on the trailer as well. My boat and trailer should be about 3500# or less. Not sure since I can't pull it to get weighed. So I guess I should be ok.

Maybe I am over thinking things when it comes to towing or maybe other people are way more brave because I have seen much larger boats towed by much smaller vehicles.

oldjeep

Admiral
Almost every state in the SOUTH is 70mph...60-65 on 2 lane...Texas is 75 65-70 on 2 lane....BTW...the Durango with the tow package is set up with a sway bar. I recommend A Durango to the OP instead of the JAP JUNK or the over priced/over rated GM stuff...Just my opinion.

Almost every state in the north is 70-75 on interstates as well

oldjeep

Admiral
So I was looking at the Durango manual and it says to use a WDH for trailers over 3500#.

In my EZ loader manual it says NOT to use a WDH with surge brakes which I have and a swing tongue on the trailer as well. My boat and trailer should be about 3500# or less. Not sure since I can't pull it to get weighed. So I guess I should be ok.

Maybe I am over thinking things when it comes to towing or maybe other people are way more brave because I have seen much larger boats towed by much smaller vehicles.

There are WDH that work with surge brakes, but I am surprised that the manual says that you need one for over 3500lbs, must have a really soft rear suspension. I know that you see many Grand Cherokees towing more than that with no WDH.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Copied out of the manual:
Do not use weight-distributing hitches with surge-braked trailers. Overloading or improper installation of weight-distributing hitches may not let hydraulic surge brake actuators work and the tow vehicle and
trailer may take longer to stop.

Now I know some WDH are not compatible with surge brakes but some are, now another problem is the swing tongue. I don't know if I would have enough room to fit the adapter for a pole tongue between the swing tongue and winch mount. Also I've read that the force the WDH put on the trailer might not be good for the swing tongue. I was trying to avoid the WDH altogether for these reasons.

I wouldn't drive on the highway at 80-85mph on a normal day, I would certainly not be doing that while towing. Highways around here are 100kmh (60mph) anyways.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If your looking at the latest GEN of Durango's, I wouldn't worry about the Pentstar 3.6 V6....290 hp...easy on fuel, good everyday grocery getter, and on the weekend pulling the boat to the lake.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 2011 hyundai tucson=(smaller than a santa fe) it tows excellently!! No worry -

Willyclay

Captain
If your looking at the latest GEN of Durango's, I wouldn't worry about the Pentstar 3.6 V6....290 hp...easy on fuel, good everyday grocery getter, and on the weekend pulling the boat to the lake.

Agree! Our son tows his 19ft Ebbtide 4.3L Mercruiser I/O with his 2012 and it does very well. Even handles the very steep ramp where they launch. Good luck!

oldjeep

Admiral

Sounds like a commercial definition
'Combination of Vehicles.' Every combination of motor vehicle and trailer or motor vehicle and semi-trailer the principal use of which is the transportation of commodities, merchandise, produce, freight or animals." - See more at: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/...ion-vehicles-combination#sthash.NBBUl4Q5.dpuf

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a commercial definition
'Combination of Vehicles.' Every combination of motor vehicle and trailer or motor vehicle and semi-trailer the principal use of which is the transportation of commodities, merchandise, produce, freight or animals." - See more at: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/m....NBBUl4Q5.dpuf
On another site it said passenger cars, including pickup trucks, pulling trailers was in that definition. I have towed there. I know its 60.