Any experience towing with these SUVs?

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The tow rating for 2011 and up Explorers (With tow pkg.) is 4500#.

It's 5000#, I double checked it because the dealer was telling me 5500#. I just found a V8 2010 Explorer, it's only the base model but it might be worth checking it out as the price is pretty good. 7100# towing so way more then enough.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
IMO there are two classes of tow vehicles

1 Full size trucks, suburban/tahoe and expeditions
2 everything else

I've towed with both and you should be far within ratings of either, but once you tow that boat with something of option 1 you will probably never go back. I would save, buy something older in group 1 and have the third vehicle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
2000 Durango has absolutely nothing in common with the modern version (basically a jeep grand Cherokee)

yep, 1998-2003 durango was body on frame design (gen 1) originally based on the Dakota, so was the 2004-2010 fugly gen 2's. 2012 and newer are FIAT designed uni-body

bassman284

Commander
IMO there are two classes of tow vehicles

1 Full size trucks, suburban/tahoe and expeditions
2 everything else

I've towed with both and you should be far within ratings of either, but once you tow that boat with something of option 1 you will probably never go back. I would save, buy something older in group 1 and have the third vehicle.
Yeah, if you have a chance to tow with option 1 you're going to be seriously spoiled compared to option 2. I used to tow with a 97 Jeep GC that had about a 7000 lb rating and did pretty good but it had a fairly short wheel base and you had to stay on your toes. 2 years ago a got a 2008 GC which is longer, wider and heavier with lots bigger brakes than the 97 and is getting close to the option 1 without actually being there. I've towed my boat with my buddie's '99 F-150 and that'sl a different world. My boat weighs about 1900 lbs and with the F150 you don't really know there's a boat back there until you look in the mirrors.

thumpar

Admiral
Personally I believe nothing beats a nice (older) Suburban. Interior is huge. Can tow over 6000lbs, nice for when you get the 2'sees.

Buy an older one and put $5000 in the bank that you saved. Use that for filling it up.
I have to agree. I towed with a 2003 Suburban. Now I tow with a 2000 Yukon (new body style). They both handled the ~4500lbs very easily. I can comfortably do 80mph on the freeway. Plus I can take 8 people with me.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I towed my 17' bayliner with an 05 Explorer. I didn't know the boat was behind me. I can assume the newer ones, as long as it came with the towing package will be fine.

ron nh

Cadet
4 runner is by far the most reliable for small towing. The honda has tranny problems with towing, always shifting causing long term issues. funny with the ford and dodge you'll find 100 people that love them and then 100 that say it's the worst thing they ever owned. 50/50s not good odds when spending that much cash. Also to the people talking truck, of course but he said needs to seat 7. any trucks do that? quick edit My wife and I loved the santa fe were going to buy one. then we found out her cousin just traded in there brand new 2015 because it was constantly shifting up and down when pulling there 2,300lb pontoon. total weight was around 3,500lbs. they felt it struggled, but it is very hilly around here. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ming15237

Seaman
As an ASE certified Master Tech, I agree the 4 runner is the best vehicle mentioned, however it does not offer a 3rd row seat. The explorers are simply JUNK! Sure you will talk to the occasional guy who "just loves his explorer or Expidition", but they are far from the norm! The new Durango seems decent this far, and offers a 3rd row seat, but is suspect it to have the typical Chrysler problems. A decent tow vehicle with 3rd row capabilities is the Tahoe or Yukon, but again there are issues there as well with sketchy quality. The best 7 passenger vehicle in that class that is reasonably priced imho is the Toyota Sequoia, bar none! They are priced accordingly, but what is your time and welfare worth. The Yukon, Tahoe, and escalade are all built on the same chassis, and do miserable in offset accidents. There really are give and takes with every vehicle, you just have to weigh your wants and needs.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
We pulled our 2000 Bayliner 1802 Capri Cuddy from Central Fl to Central Tn(Center Hill & Dale Hollow lakes) with a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 2005 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 and 2014 Dodge Durango Limited 3.6 Pentstar V6, with the Tow Package, with NO issues. We ran Interstate Hwy speeds and up and down some very serious grades....Notice the LONGER wheelbase on the Durango...And the average fuel mileage @ 73 mph
@1
142hedd.jpg

34xgmsx.jpg

sowkmd.jpg

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Our 2014 Durango has the 3rd row seat, when it is down, there is a lot of storage. The Durango has a longer wheelbase than the Grand Cherokee, that why we picked it over the Jeep.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
yep, 1998-2003 durango was body on frame design (gen 1) originally based on the Dakota, so was the 2004-2010 fugly gen 2's. 2012 and newer are FIAT designed uni-body

Wrong...The 2004-2010 were built on the 1500 Ram frame....The newer ones are built on the MERCEDES designed under carriage.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
73 MPH pulling a single axle trailer? No thanks.

Been doing it for years! Never had a tire issue, Never had a bearing issue, Never had a sway issue.....Of course a person should never drive or pull a boat BEYOND ones capability.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Been doing it for years! Never had a tire issue, Never had a bearing issue, Never had a sway issue.....Of course a person should never drive or pull a boat BEYOND ones capability.
Yeah...until you do! Even the best tires fail.

BTW, trailer tires are rated for 65MPH.

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 4Runner does come with a 3rd row, it's a small one but my wife's requirement was to stick 2 kids in the back so it would work. I found a decent priced 2011 Durango but I am worried about the issue with the TIPM, which seems pretty common on that year. We owned a Lincoln with similar issues and it was a major PITA, the car would randomly stall and sometimes not start and other weird issues.

thumpar

Admiral
I regularly tow at 80-85 mph with my Yukon. I do have a tandem though.