Any experience towing with these SUVs?

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We purchased a boat earlier this summer, so now it's time to get a 7 seat SUV to pull it. My wife and I have narrowed our list down to a few SUVs and I was hoping to get some opinions and real world experiences about them. We have a 17' bowrider that should be under 3500lbs total (boat, trailer, gear), the trailer also has surge brakes. We don't have any mountains near us but some fairly large hills depending on where we go.

We ruled out the Acadia/Traverse due to reliability issues, the layout and space was great but researching shows that there are lots of transmission and engine issue so I'd like to stay away from that. We are looking at used SUVs 2011-13 mostly.

In no particular order here is our short list.

2011-12 Toyota 4Runner (didn't like Highlander)
2012 Honda Pilot (bit on the low side for towing but still enough)
2012-13 Ford Explorer
2012-13 Dodge Durango (really hard to find with the tow package, currently found 1 near us, most towing capacity in the class)
2011-2012 Nissan Pathfinder (hard on gas and kind of small but price is pretty decent compared to the rest and seems reasonably reliable)

My wife really wants me to check out the 2010-12 Hyundai Santa Fe but I don't know about that as a tow vehicle, we would get rid of her car instead of the van if we went that route. It says it's rated for 4500lbs for a boat and 3500 for everything else.

tpenfield

Staff member
3500 lbs is not much for towing these days. Check the vehicle spec's for towing though, that is what counts, versus our collective opinions.

I know the new versions of the Explorer are not as towing worthy as their truck oriented predecessors, but still should do the job. My old 2004 Explorer is rated for 7,000 lbs and did nicely with my 6500 lbs boat/trailer combo.

thumpar

Admiral
Some of the new Explorers are FWD so watch out for that. I would get the widest and longest tow vehicle of the ones you want. You don't want the trailer throwing the vehicle around.

alldodge

Staff member
4x4 or AWD 2012 with tow package and largest engine available
4Runner 5000
Pilot 4500
Explorer 5000
Durango 7200
Pathfinder 7000

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We will be getting 4x4 or AWD for sure. The tow package is proving difficult to find on some of the models like the Explorer and Durango which is really limiting our choices right now.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
A tow package for the most part is a hitch, trans cooler, and the wiring for lights. You can add any of that.

thumpar

Admiral
Adding a hitch and such is not a big deal. Most of the factory hitches can't even handle the weight of the full tow capacity of the vehicle.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not worried about adding a hitch and wiring or even the cooler. Some add more then that like the Durango has a difference rear end and the Explorer has extra sway control programming in computer, not sure if it makes much of a difference but I would prefer to have that. Or the tow mode for different shifting etc.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I know the new versions of the Explorer are not as towing worthy as their truck oriented predecessors, but still should do the job. My old 2004 Explorer is rated for 7,000 lbs and did nicely with my 6500 lbs boat/trailer combo.

It's unfortunate that the Ford Explorer was radically redesigned in 2011. I have a 2003 Explorer V8 4WD that's been a great hauler and I'd certainly buy another one older than 2011. If you can find a good older one, especially one that already has the Class III trailer hitch like I found, you'll love it. Mine had 110,000 kM when I bought it and now has over 300K on it. Although it hurt when I had to replace the transmission a few months ago, I think I've gotten my money out of it. - Grandad

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A tow package for the most part is a hitch, trans cooler, and the wiring for lights. You can add any of that.

Not necessarily. Tow packages can range to much more then a hitch and trans cooler. I ordered our Blazer with a trailer towing package and it came with heavier suspension, beefier Bilstein shocks, trans cooler, an increased radiator size, a larger alternator, the fame installed hitch, and the proper wiring setup. So check to see what come with a trailer towing package...

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's unfortunate that the Ford Explorer was radically redesigned in 2011. I have a 2003 Explorer V8 4WD that's been a great hauler and I'd certainly buy another one older than 2011. If you can find a good older one, especially one that already has the Class III trailer hitch like I found, you'll love it. Mine had 110,000 kM when I bought it and now has over 300K on it. Although it hurt when I had to replace the transmission a few months ago, I think I've gotten my money out of it. - Grandad

Yes, those are getting hard to find, there is one near me but I think it's way over priced. I had a look at it last weekend, it was only the v6 model but that should handle our boat. Wife didn't like it much, basically the same could be said for the Pathfinder we looked at, she felt it was too small it's a big drop in size from the van. I think at some point she'll realize we have to sacrifice either our money or some interior space.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
2012-13 Dodge Durango (really hard to find with the tow package, currently found 1 near us, most towing capacity in the class)

I'd be really wary of that choice... First of all, they suck fuel like no other, but the bigger concern is the reliability. I was looking at last 2000 Durango's, and the lack of any reliability was staggering. Countless owners saying it was the worst vehicle they ever owned. Unless they have improved it after 2009, at least.

(ended up with a 2009 Kia Borrego with a 7500# tow rating instead)

oldjeep

Admiral
17' should be towable by just about anything and 3500lbs seems high for that boat. We towed our 19ft around with a 2003 Kia Sorrento for a couple years, and it did just fine - total weight on that was somewhere around 3500lbs.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I'd be really wary of that choice... First of all, they suck fuel like no other, but the bigger concern is the reliability. I was looking at last 2000 Durango's, and the lack of any reliability was staggering. Countless owners saying it was the worst vehicle they ever owned. Unless they have improved it after 2009, at least.

(ended up with a 2009 Kia Borrego with a 7500# tow rating instead)

2000 Durango has absolutely nothing in common with the modern version (basically a jeep grand Cherokee)

64osby

Admiral
Personally I believe nothing beats a nice (older) Suburban. Interior is huge. Can tow over 6000lbs, nice for when you get the 2'sees.

Buy an older one and put $5000 in the bank that you saved. Use that for filling it up.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
17' should be towable by just about anything and 3500lbs seems high for that boat. We towed our 19ft around with a 2003 Kia Sorrento for a couple years, and it did just fine - total weight on that was somewhere around 3500lbs.

It's really just a guess since I don't know the actual weight, I was trying to stay on the high side so I don't get something to small like an Ford Edge which is rated for 3500.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have towed a 3600 pound Larson with a 2011 Front WD Explorer and a 2014 4WD Explorer. They do/did just fine. I now have a 2016. Same.

They handled hitch weight (about 200#) fine. Enough power. Braking is/was no issue. Trailer has brakes.

The Front Wheel Drive version had NO launch ramp issues. Neither the FWD or 4WD ever have spun a tire.

Plus, I tow in 100+ degree weather.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The reliability of some of the earlier years of the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave is a bummer actually...I like those as well. I've never seen more negative reviews of a high production car. I'll also mention that the towing package on some vehicles (in addition to what was mentioned earlier) gets you larger brake rotors/more effective braking, plus a locking or at least limited slip diff and a more appropriate axle ratio. After going from a tow vehicle rated at 3500lbs that was on a car frame like many of your subject vehicles to now owing several truck based suv's that tow double that with all of the appropriate towing stuff and extras, there is just no comparison. The capability difference in every situation is just is indescribable like going from a horse to a car. The problem isn't just the actual towing part because a 4 cylinder can tow the load, it comes down to the stopping power and situation avoidance ability in emergency maneuvers that will happen when you least expect it among the lengthy list of reasons when I started towing a boat, I committed to it and bought a body on frame vehicle. A unibody is thinner than a piece of cardboard and a truck body is a beefy, thick piece of steel and you can instantly feel the robustness.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The tow rating for 2011 and up Explorers (With tow pkg.) is 4500#.