Long distance trailering

ChipnKim

Cadet
I recently acquired a 24' Grumman pontoon with a Hoosier trailer, the type with the trailer wheels between the pontoons. I would like to pull this from Ohio to Florida this winter for a couple of weeks but i would not even consider using this trailer for that many miles. I am looking to purchase a dual axel bunk style trailer. Does anyone have any advice for a particular trailer brand that can handle the trip? My tow rig is a '03 F350 diesel, so weight isn't really a factor.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Any brand will be fine as long as it's rated for the weight, long enough, and in good condition.

robert graham

Admiral
Important keys to successful trailering is good tires, correct tire pressures, clean, well-adjusted and lubricated bearings and good seals....Double check the age codes on the sidewalks of tires...I generally consider a tire over 3 years old to be ready to replace regardless of wear....after a couple of tread separations/blow-outs at 70 MPH on the interstate can make you know it's not worth pressing your luck with tires.....

ChipnKim

Cadet
Thanks Kevin. Was thinking on buying new since i'm finding ads for bunk style with 1 brake axel for $2500 or so. I don't think i would mess with used for prices like that.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Find the LOWEST bunk style trailer available. When i say low, I mean ride height.

Height makes a huge difference in wind drag and launching.

​Some of the lower models have the boat sitting between the wheels. The only downside is that they are 8'6" wide. That may be an issue, in some states, as being considered an Oversize Load. Worth checking state laws.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Worth measuring.

My issue with some "toon" trailers is that the bunks are set far higher than they need to be. My neighbor has one that is set 4" above the fenders (Tracker). It doesn't need to be that high. The fenders are solid mounted to the frame. There is no chance the wheels would hit the logs if it were lower.

Another neighbor has a tandem trailer that the bunks basically sit within an inch of the fenders (ShoreLand'r). It is a good six inches lower than the other neighbor. It tows better and far easier to launch/retrieve.

Look at the bunk height or find one with height adjustable bunks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a Tracker with trailer. Fenders are right against the fender. The fender is a little higher than it probably needs to be though.

ChipnKim

Cadet
Nice advice everyone. I had never considered measuring bunk ride height before. Thanks to all for the information!