new torsion axle, which angle setting to buy?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I am looking to install a torsion axle on my trailer in place of the standard leaf spring set up. For many of the axles they offer different initial angle setting of the torsion spindle in relation to the horizon. they offer 0 degrees, 15 degrees 22 degrees 25 degrees and even 45 degrees. the load capacity is 3750 lbs. how do I choose which angle setting I would need???

thanks

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I found out the info... its the way you determine how high off the ground you want the trailer frame to be....

bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Ride height alone is not the way to determine this. As an extreme example of how not to do it, assume you want the trailer sitting as low as possible. You select a zero degree axle and you now have the frame sitting nearly on the ground. The swing axle needs to pivot through it's normal range of travel so in this example, the frame literally would hit the ground on each bump. The major factor in this selection is whether or not the trailer frame is parallel with the road (not al of them are). If so, draw a horizontal line on a piece of paper. Using a protractor, draw angles off the frame at 15, 22 and 45 degrees. One of those three (probably 22 degree) should work for you. If the trailer frame is NOT parallel with the roadway, then start with a horizontal line representing the roadway. Then another line representing the angle of the trailer frame in relation to the roadway. Now draw the various swing arm angles off the trailer frame line. Remember, it is the swing arm angle in relation to the axle mounting pad and the pads relation to the trailer frame that determines what angle you need. You might stop by a marina or dealer and look at a few trailers to see what the angle is on those.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
they have PLUS angles as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IE: the pivot arm is pointing upwards!!!!!!!!! I would think you would...or COULD adjust the levelness of the trailer with the hitch -ball adpaters. considering that tow vehicles height varies so much. the offer +15, 0, -10, -22.5,-25.-35,and -45 degrees axles.. and I don't think the height varies by more than a total of about 6 ". one thing to remember is that the frame that holds the axle, is not the lowest part of the trailer sometimes!! the V of the axle is lower as well and the V shaped cross members!!! with regular springs my trailer frame is about 13" off the ground...the v members are a little less. since I use some poor ramps that are shallow of the ramp drops off a shelf( one way to ruin an trailer is pulling out after you drop off) and the lower the boat sits to the ground, the easier it is to offload .

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
22 degrees is considered a "standard" torsion axle.

what would your guess be for the amount of travel the suspension might see when a loaded trailer hit a decent pot hole or a good sized bump???

ie: let say my lowest trailer part is 8" off the road....could there be 7-9" of downward travel on a severe bump?

bob

Thalasso

Commander
22 degrees is considered a "standard" torsion axle.

That would be a good starting point.
The 22.5 degree up start angle is the highest position that will provide the trailer with the lowest frame height.
The theoretical optimum start angle would be a 22.5 degree down start angle

Just my opinion

MRS

Commander
Bob, did you put the torsion axle on? Was wondering cause I have so much trouble with regular axles that I was thinking of switching over to a torsion my self. I think the way they hook up would firm the trailer up alittle plus the 3750 rating is right at my weight now.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Bob, did you put the torsion axle on? Was wondering cause I have so much trouble with regular axles that I was thinking of switching over to a torsion my self. I think the way they hook up would firm the trailer up alittle plus the 3750 rating is right at my weight now.

no I am still working on my boat, and don't need to do the trailer yet.....life is dynamic...I wont use it for the current boat project but I just bought a dual axle galvanized 23 ft long trailer for $100, yesterday!!! it has brakes!!! and a really nice roller set up. although I wouldn't use rollers on my aluminum boat.

but the plan is still to buy the torsion axle..maybe in a month

bob

MRS

Commander
Wow 100 bucks that is great! I have been looking for one but everybody here wants way to much and they are all junk. But will keep looking maybe luck into one.