Spindle or axle replacemnet 1995 Trailmaster

fastp22

Recruit
95 Trailmaster.jpg image1.JPG image2.JPG I was just unloading my boat yesterday when I noticed grease covering my wheel. I had a total bearing meltdown. Castlenut was half worn out, all bearingsand washers were gone, rear race is still stuck on, and the spindle was damaged pretty bad. I have looked all over the web to try to find an axle for a Trailmaster but really havent had any luck. I have a 95 18' Rinker bowrider that sits on the trailor. I am not sure if it is damaged enough to change the spindle or more cost effective to just change out the whole axle or if the new bearings will work. Any advice is greatly appreciated. It looks as though most of the damage is on the underside of the spindle to me...

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Spindles are not reasonably replaceable... The cost of labor would far exceed the cost of a new axle.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
depends on the TRAILER, not the BOAT !!!!!!!! some trailers have replaceable spindles... that are easily changed...some need to be welded....some are not made to change at all... if there is damage to the spindle where the bearing fits...it is best to get a new spindle or axle....if the damage is don't on those spots and the threads are still good, you might get away with new bearings or hubs

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I was just unloading my boat yesterday when I noticed grease covering my wheel. I had a total bearing meltdown. Castlenut was half worn out, all bearingsand washers were gone, rear race is still stuck on, and the spindle was damaged pretty bad. I have looked all over the web to try to find an axle for a Trailmaster but really havent had any luck. I have a 95 18' Rinker bowrider that sits on the trailor. I am not sure if it is damaged enough to change the spindle or more cost effective to just change out the whole axle or if the new bearings will work. Any advice is greatly appreciated. It looks as though most of the damage is on the underside of the spindle to me...

id say new axle

........ axle: $160 maybe....new hubs $80.....new u bolts kit....you maybe looking at only $300

easy peasy

bob

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You don't need an axle FOR a trailmaster.

You need to take measurements and get an axle the same size and style with the correct weight rating.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
what smoke said

you need to figure three items

mounting width
hub face to hub face dimension on axles that come with hubs( or flange to flange dimension, if you need to buy the hubs seperate)
weight capacity( just make sure it is rated for more than both springs combined)
'
at the worst you will buy an axle that you will need to drill two holes in...to accommodate the bolt head that holds the leafs of the springs together

at best the axle comes with the holes already!!

buy GALVANIZED everything!!

check the old axle and see if it is STRAIGHT or has a V in it.

bob

Pony

Rear Admiral
Have you tried contacting the manufacture directly? I just replaced my axle on my trailer. Mine was manufactured by Yacht Club and even though they didn't show anything on their website when I called them they were able to price out the stock axle with hubs for me over the phone and order it. Showed up a couple days later ready to install. $226 shipped with hubs. Hard to beat that.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The price of a new axle would be a small price to pay compared to the cost the failure of a welded on stub could incur

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have a round axle so you won't have to worry about drilling any holes but you will need the measurement for the spring perch width.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
id say new axle

........ axle: $160 maybe....new hubs $80.....new u bolts kit....you maybe looking at only $300

easy peasy

bob

yup yup.. to that.. install new axle, todays axles have grease zerk fittings,, easy as a 1 inch putt :)

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
In my area of the country there are a few trailer "parts" suppliers, when I had a spindle/bearing go bad I just dropped the axle and took it over to them. They had no problem finding the correct parts I needed and even recommended a welder for the new spindle. Replaced both spindles and hubs so everything is new, with welding was less than 150. Brought it home and was road ready in one hour.