NEED TRAILER BRAKES

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What kind of vehicle are you using? Is it already wired for electric brakes?

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm using a 2008 Ford Escape. I know it has the loom the trailer lights but I don't know about the trailer brakes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm using a 2008 Ford Escape. I know it has the loom the trailer lights but I don't know about the trailer brakes.
Little bit of a hassle if its not already wired up from under the dash and not likely that it would be wired already on an Escape. Not the end of the world. Just a hassle.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a call into my insurance agent about needing brakes to be covered. He thinks I'm OK without but has a call into corporate to make sure. Haven't heard yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a call into my insurance agent about needing brakes to be covered. He thinks I'm OK without but has a call into corporate to make sure. Haven't heard yet.
If I was towing your load with a Ford Escape, I would get brakes.

You have a V6 in that car right?

Last edited:

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Escape is a V6 and it tows it pretty well although a little more stopping power wouldn't hurt.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's not how it stops day to day that matters... It's how it stops when a 4 yr old breaks away from mommy n runs out in front of you, or granny doesn't see you and backs out of her driveway.....

You started with a good plan (putting brakes on)... Please stick with it..... It will be money well spent.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Escape is a V6 and it tows it pretty well although a little more stopping power wouldn't hurt.

The reason I asked is that the V6 is rated for 3500 if you get the towing package. Better chance for it to have the brake wire that way.

MRS

Commander
This is the way I have my hook up for the trailer wires when I launch the boat I unhook the two wire plug and no tire skidding. When you retrieve the boat plug back in make it part of the boat tie down check and you are good to go. Also so hooking up the box for electric is not hard at all I have done it on 79 pickup and a 88 motorhome. If you do not want to do it take to a trailer place and they can do it for you. Check it out on u tube I love having electric brake setup helps with braking coming down steep grades big time.