NEED TRAILER BRAKES

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone.
My boat and trailer weigh 2340 lbs. California, I think requires anything over 1500 lbs. to have brakes. My axle has about a 1.5-2.0 inch offset at the spindles and there is no backing flange to bolt brakes onto. Do I have to buy a new axle without the offset and has flanges or can I modify the one I have? Would electric brakes be the way to go I assume a straight axle will make the boat sit a couple of inches higher on the trailer and may make launching a little more difficult. The main thing is to get brakes on the trailer to be safe and compliant, and also for my insurance company. I'm sure they would love to deny a claim based on a trailer without brakes.;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Many of the axle vendors sell the small brake mounting flanges to add to axles. I have found them under $10 each.

However own a welder and various other tools of destruction.

many full service trailer shops can help if needed.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If by offset you mean you have a drop axle then yes a straight axle would raise the trailer unless you are able to move from under the springs to over them.

As long as you are in fresh water then yes electric drum brakes are a fine choice.

Your insurance most likely wouldn't deny any claim but that's not really relevant since you stated you are required by law to have them.

You could also likely have backing plates welded onto your current axle but by the time you do buy the parts and get the welding done you could have probably just bought a new axle.

MRS

Commander
All you have is a drop axle measure it and order a new one with the same drop and you will be good to go. They are cheap and brand new and so easy to install will be a done deal and you will be a happy boater with brakes...

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. My question now is electric or hydraulic. They both seem to have good and bad points.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
electric requires a vehicle mounted controller and does not like salt water

hydraulic is operated by an actuator in the trailer tongue, and if you are in salt water, get disc brakes. otherwise drum is fine. the disc brakes use either a reverse solenoid (5-pin wiring) or a reverse lockout lever on the tongue

my preference is hydraulic disc

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My preference would be electric over hydraulic disc.... Way too pricey for me tho so I use electric drum brakes... Much cheaper and work great for me BUT I am not in salt water... I would take electric over surge any day myself.

In the end it's a judgement call on your part based on what's important to you.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Surge disc over electric drum. Also , electric drum is not that inexpensive since you also need drums.

I am just so sick of drum brakes on trailers.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I didn't say drum over disc.
I'm not doing this with you again Bruce.
You have your opinions and I have mine.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well that's a fair question...

Because I want my trailer brakes to apply when my vehicle brakes apply and I want my trailer brakes to apply only when my vehicle brakes apply.

If I downshift for a long grade I don't want my trailer brakes dragging and overheating so if I need them they aren't there for me and if someone's kid runs behind me backing down the ramp I want all of my brakes to work.

Also if I have to stop on a down grade and back up I want to be able to... Surge lock out only works if trailer brakes aren't applied when you shift into reverse.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
san dimas, you won't believe what a difference it makes to have brakes on your trailer. I installed electric drum brakes on my trailer (it had none previously) and I was amazed at how much more controlled braking has become. It is like night and day.

Also, for the record, this summer I have had the occasion to tow a friends boat with surge brakes on the trailer. A much less pleasant experience. I would love to be able to afford electric over hydraulic disc brakes, but those were just too pricey.

Good luck!

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I only launch in fresh water so what kind of maintenance is required?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well that's a fair question...

Because I want my trailer brakes to apply when my vehicle brakes apply and I want my trailer brakes to apply only when my vehicle brakes apply.

If I downshift for a long grade I don't want my trailer brakes dragging and overheating so if I need them they aren't there for me and if someone's kid runs behind me backing down the ramp I want all of my brakes to work.

Also if I have to stop on a down grade and back up I want to be able to... Surge lock out only works if trailer brakes aren't applied when you shift into reverse.
And those are all drawbacks of surge. I agree. The one that is huge one for me is the the downgrade issue.

The time delay comparison is actually present on both type systems even with a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 controller. Of course with hydraulic disc, the delay is actually less.

As far as maintenance, I have replaced a lot more magnets than I have master cylinders and that wasn't even for electric brakes that go in the water. When electric drum brakes have been sitting for awhile, the inside of the drum where the magnet rubs gets covered with rust, even more so if dunked in water. When the trailer is first used, the magnet runs on this rust and wears it down until the rust is gone. Salt water makes it even worse but sounds like San Dimas is not going to be in salt.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Since I have electric over hydraulic I share this one pain with electric drum. After you launch your boat your trailer tires will skid because there is less weight on the trailer. I used to lower down the gain but one time I forgot to set it back up and nearly went plowing through an intersection. Now I just leave it and just live with the trailer tires skidding with no load for awhile. At my vacation home, I have a short drive with a few spots from where I launch to where I park my trailer.

Electric over hydraulic is super nice and is way overkill for San Dimas. Nice thing about them is that you get to have hydraulic disc brakes without all the hassles of the drum brakes. I run an equilizing hitch on my rig and way better not to have surge with equalizing bars.

Last edited:

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I try to launch my boat once a week if possible. So I'm hoping the rust won't be a problem.