Bunk trailer?

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All...I bought a 1986 Starcraft Mariner 210 which is a semi-deep vee. It came with a LoadRite trailer with both rollers and bunks. I want to get a trailer with brakes, and found one but it is only bunks. Will that work for me? Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It'll work if once it's setup proper but why don't you get a trailer brake kit for your trailer instead or find a scrap trailer and swap out the system

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
The current axle has no brake mounting brackets. The cost to weld them properly and then install a brake kit is approaching the cost of this other trailer (which is much nicer).

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Ok now my other question how much does boat and trailer weigh and are you within load limits of your tow vehicle and why do you want trailer brakes to begin with ie: are you in mountainous terrain

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
My tow vehicle is VW Touareg, which is rated for over 7000lbs, but says brakes are needed for any load over 1600lbs. I don't know the exact weight of my rig, but I would guess around 3000lbs. I tow it locally with no problem at all. I will be traveling further though, but my main concern is liability if something bad happens. If the vehicle manufacturer states you need them, I'm pretty sure I'd be up the creek in a courtroom if I don't.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Makes sense well if you do purchase the trailer then there may be a need to adjust the angle of the bunks so that they fully support the hull of the boat

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
My 21' Holiday would be similar in weight (never had the whole rig weighed). My trailer has two 5' bunks near the stern, but also has 3 keel rollers and good guideposts. It's got two 3500 lb axles with14" wheels on equalized leaf springs. I replaced one axle several years ago, simply to add electric drum brakes. Although I pull it with an adequate vehicle (2003 Ford Explorer 4WD), I appreciate the addition of the trailer brakes. I can tell when they're working and when they're not. I'm happy with everything now, but have purchased some UHMW for the bunks that are currently covered in indoor/outdoor carpet. She loads OK, but my personal horsepower is lower these days and I'm hoping that the slippery UHMW will help me get the stem tighter to the bow stop and maybe help a little at shallow launch ramps. - Grandad

ho1ywars

Cadet
I have a 21ft mariner with a 140hp tohatsu that sits on a bunk trailer w/ no brakes. The trailer was originally a roller trailer that i converter to bunk ( i hate rollers). I can power load it to the bow stop with no problems. Pull it with a 1500 silverado, no problems stopping.

Attachments

• 20150621_152855_resized.jpg
    20150621_152855_resized.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yes but op has a vw touareg and needs brakes at 1600lbs and up on the trailer

Agree....

As far as bunks vs rollers, personal preference...... Bunks you need deeper water, rollers can launch in shallower water, usually. If the water conditions aren't and issue, bunks will work fine.

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
True the bunks and rollers debate is a nightmare of an issue it's an endless debate they both have their applications and everyone has their preference let's not turn this into a bunk or roller debate both rollers and bunks will work for your boat

BillP

Captain
A bunk only trailer works for most boats so it should work for yours...but a roller trailer gives you more flexibily at the ramp. It's a legitimate consideration if you are changing trailers and traveling to unknown ramps.

bp

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I went to checkout the trailer I was interested in, and I believe it's too short. It measures a little longer than 21' but the bow stop is too low and about 3' shorter than my current trailer. My current rig measures 22' and the boat extends about 3" past the furthest back part of the trailer. I'm gonna keep looking, maybe put an ad on CL. If nothing comes up I'll consider an axle swap. Thanks again for your help.

Ho1ywars...sweet Mariner! If you ever get a picture of the trailer without the boat I'd like to see it.

64osby

Admiral
Ours is on a roller. Would think the overall length needed would be about 24' for the trailer. You might try pricing a new axle with E brakes to replace what you have. Might be less expensive in the long run.

IMG-20110811-00025.jpg

thumpar

Admiral
I have a bunk only trailer except for the bow stop rollers. I had to extend the tongue 3' to get it deep enough on the ramps I use. It is nice though. It is very stable on the trailer and probably don't even need straps or chain to keep the boat on the trailer.

thumpar

Admiral
Oh, oh. Here we go. :popcorn:
Just saying. I have had both. The roller trailer is easier to load/unload but the bunk trailer seams to ride better on the road. There are pros and cons to both.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I think the popcorn was more about not needing straps or a chain. Every trailer needs both....