Replacement spindle for old Evinrude trailer

Volvowayne

Recruit
I have a 1968 Evinrude Sportsman 155 with the original trailer. It also has the Evinrude name on it. One of the spindles snapped the other day and I now need to replace both. However, I am having a heck of a time finding a match. So I went to a fabrication shop today. $400 to have 2 new ones made! Ouch!
Can anyone help me find a replacement that will work? Or other solutions.
I managed to find the original part number for the spindle: 904862 However that hasn't done me any good.
Thanks for the help,
Wayne

BillP

Captain
Yep, what they said. You can replace the axle (comes with spindles installed) for $100 and all the suspension parts for another $100. Axles come in round and square so you should be able to duplicate the same vintage look if it matters. It can be done with the boat on the trailer...2 jacks and 4 stands works for me. 1 jack and wood blocks will do it but you have to be careful to avoid tipping. A sawzall will speed the removal of old rusted parts big time.

Good luck.

bp

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely just buy a new axle replacement and save the money. Your trailer won't care if it has Evinrude stamped on it or not. If you really need the Evinrude name on it, buy a stencil and spray it on after the replacement... JMHO!

Volvowayne

Recruit
It's been a process (mostly because of money and time) but I now have a new torsion axel with electric brakes that I am installing. I can't wait to tow this fun and unique boat down to the river again! I'll keep everyone posted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
We're gonna need some pictures of this unique boat!