Question on soldering trailer light wiring

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just finished replacing the trim motor on my old evinrude. While I go my boat and trailer under the shed and it is too hot to fish I had the idea to replace all the old wiring ,broken lights etc and be ready for September. I forgot I don't have a good soldering tool. I got 3 hand held electrics that aren',t worth a crap. Can any one recommend what I can buy that will solder the wiring in a short amount of time that won't burn up the wires like I did with my map gas torch.
Any help is appreciated. You can see I don't know a lot about soldering electric wiring.
jimpittman

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just use a couple of little butane soldering irons that I have, they don't get to hot and they are easy to work with and no open flame to burn anything up.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I agree with the crimp connecters, however....if you want to solder them just buy a soldering gun at the local big box store. WEN was a popular brand for many years and has a high and low setting. Also very inexpensive and last a long time. Mine is more than 25 yrs old cost less than 10 bucks.

Thalasso

Commander
The problem with soldering them is the heat will make the wire brittle at that point. As said use heat shrink crimps

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I solder wires, which is not often, I use a low temp strip solder that actually melts with a cig lighter flame, but I don't often solder wires anymore because I can put dielectric grease on the connection then use a heat shrink crimp and be fine for years.

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the comments. I've heard of heat shrink. I use it all the time, but never heard of heat shrink crimp. Where can I get them?
How do you handle a three way junction? I have running lights on each side, side marker lamps on each fender, a separate license plate lamp and an extra running light on the very back middle of my trailer under the OB motor.
I going to look for those heat shrink crimps tomorrow.
jimpittman

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I buy mine at autozone or o'reilly autoparts, I am sure most any auto parts stores with have them, you can also get at Home Depot and Lowes.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For splicing 3 wires together I use these..... Not heat shrink but gel filled and completely waterproof.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
a big problem with SOLDERING in small electrical wires is: getting the acid flux COMPLETLEY off your wires and joint when done! other wise you have a quick start to oxidized and broken wires built in!!!!!!!

bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are proper ways to solder such wires if you know the methods. Being NASA certified micro-miniature solderer in my Electronic Engineering Technician career, you can use de-wicking tweezers to solder any wire and not have to worry about the residual rosin causing any problems. I like standard lap joint connections with heat shrink over the solder connection. And they will last longer then any other connection method I've ever seen. I solder every connection on my trailer(s) for that reason. Never had any issue doing that myself... JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Unfortunately I'm unable to give life span data for the heat shrink crimps.... Since I've never had one fail.... I can say they last more than 10 years...

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMO a "Wall 1864" soldering gun is the best that money can buy, It gets hot very fast. I will disagree with some above about the crimp connectors. I have been doing electrical work for quite awhile and I always solder and heatshrink all my electrical connections and have never had a failure because of it. My philosophy is that if you use crimp connectors it is not a question of if it will fail, but when and where it will fail. Water and crimp connectors are not a good combo. Although the heatshrink connectors are more durable, I have seen them fail also.

NYBo

Admiral
If a soldered joint is properly supported there should be no issue with premature failure. But properly supporting a solder joint is often difficult on a trailer, so I use crimp connectors. YMMV!

Fed

Commander
IMO soldered wires going brittle is an internet myth.

15 Years ago I soldered lugs to the ends of a length of 13AWG wire to use as a heavy hatch stay, still going strong after a lot of use.

IMG_0003_opt.jpg

IMG_0003A_opt.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
a big problem with SOLDERING in small electrical wires is: getting the acid flux COMPLETLEY off your wires and joint when done! other wise you have a quick start to oxidized and broken wires built in!!!!!!!

bob
You do not use acid core solder on electrical wiring. Rosin core solder is the recommended solder for that purpose. I feel that soldering and heat shrinking trailer wiring is perfectly acceptable provided the joints are sealed properly and/or run in flexible conduit. Crimped connections in a sealed heat shrink crimp connector are fine but subject to corrosion in a short time if only heat shrink tubing is used. Do it right once and the wiring will last as long as the trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

bob
You're using the wrong solder if you have acid flux.

I also don't have a problem with soldering wires on a boat trailer for joining 2 wires together. Where you have a problem is at ring connectors where the connector is held rigidly and the wire can move.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
IMO soldered wires going brittle is an internet myth.
They don't go brittle. The solder wicks down the stranded wire making it act like a solid wire. When that happens, it doesn't take much flexing before the wire breaks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the comments. I've heard of heat shrink. I use it all the time, but never heard of heat shrink crimp. Where can I get them?
jimpittman
I get mine here:

http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-e...nectors?cat=85

The ones they carry at Lowes and auto parts store are not high quality like these are.

Never ever ever use those blue scotchlock connectors. All they have for water resistance is a little grease inside.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Scotch locks are not designed to use under water, so don't use them, period. The shrink crimp with dielectric grease in them last a heck of a long time, if you have the proper tools to shrink the seal correctly. Solder can last a long time as well as long as you are doing it the correct way.