New to trailering

Ive been around boats my whole life, but recently got my own rig and am learning the fine art of backing up a trailer.Good times Good times.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Backing up is simple, get yourself straight, place your hand at6 o'clock on the steering wheel, so the trailer will turn what ever way your hand turns, then make sure to use your mirrors to watch your progress backwards, it takes a bit of practice, but it is not hard to learn.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Choose your routes carefully until you're confident. That includes gas stations and store parking lots. It's always better to not to get into difficult circumstances than hope you're skilful enough to get out of them. You never want to enter into a crowded lot situation where you might have to back out or turn more tightly than your rig can handle. A jacknifed trailer in a tight lot can be a nightmare for beginners. - Grandad

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Even those of us that have a lot of experience get screwed up every once in a while, I did just a few weeks ago, ended up with my 5th wheel upside one of the yellow posts in a parking lot that they put in to keep you from hitting signs and such, first time I have ever done that!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Best tip u can give you is take tour time and if you feel rushed or panicked stop and take a breath and calm yourself

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yes don't get in a rush. I've been pulling trailers for over 30 years and almost without exception every time I've ended up in a mess it was because I got in a hurry. I hadn't had a problem backing a trailer in years, but a month ago I jack knifed my utility trailer backing out of a dead end road because I got in a hurry trying to get out of the way of oncomming traffic. Left a HUGE dent in the bed of my truck and punched a hole in it to boot. The Admiral asks me almost daily when am I goung to fix it. I just tell her it is serving as a good reminder to not get in a hurry.

I ended up a little cockeyed at the ramp my first time so i just got out and pulled the trailer over and squared her up. 12' aluminum boat is easy to manhandle when needed thankfully.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Practice in an empty parking lot as well some people get really rude and impatient at the boat ramp

airshot

Rear Admiral
As a fellow boater with more than 50 yrs of trailer backing experience might I suggest something that will prove to be quite valuable once you learn it...all good suggestions given here, but want to add one thing...do yourself a big favor and learn to back your trailer with your rearview mirrors. You should have a good set of mirrors on your tow vehicle, learn to use them well and you can back up anything!! No matter how big or how small or whether your rear vision is compromised. A few years back a group that was training younger drivers trailer skills had a rodeo on trailer backing. Yep.. I went all thru the course with just my mirrors, highest score of anyone. One thing I will stress is to go slow...slower is faster as fewer mistakes are made... the old saying " fast steering wheel and slow going" will get you there much quicker.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Choose your routes carefully until you're confident. That includes gas stations and store parking lots. It's always better to not to get into difficult circumstances than hope you're skilful enough to get out of them. You never want to enter into a crowded lot situation where you might have to back out or turn more tightly than your rig can handle. A jacknifed trailer in a tight lot can be a nightmare for beginners. - Grandad

Good advice. I always used to reconnoiter my routes before I towed a trailer anywhere, for fear I'd get into a spot I couldn't get out of. i did the same thing if I had an early morning appointment I had to make but had never been to the place before. Much less anxiety if you've traveled the route before and knew exactly where you were going.

bassman284

Commander
I ended up a little cockeyed at the ramp my first time so i just got out and pulled the trailer over and squared her up. 12' aluminum boat is easy to manhandle when needed thankfully.
Well, that'll work but could get tiresome. My boat is way to heavy for that so when I get cockeyed, I have to pull ahead a bit and do it again. And it's really good practice for the long term because you'll likely have a bigger boat someday (it's how this boating thing works).

I've been backing trailers for over 40 years (~12 years driving semis) and I like to think I'm pretty darn good, BUT I do get cockeyed or out of shape from time to time (more often than I care to admit). A lot of the problems for inexperienced backers comes from trying to chase a bad situation. If you have to turn the steering wheel 2 turns to catch up you are way overdue to stop, pull forward and try again. One full turn is a pretty bad sign. Most places I go, I don't need more that a half turn either direction. If I'm going to have to go beyond that, I pull forward and try again. airshot has a good point about using the mirrors. Keep the left wheel of your trailer in the mirror. If it starts going outside the mirror, STOP! Pull forward and try again.

Practice and patience are the keys - the more patience you have, probably the less practice you will need. Don't cave to the pressure of people watching.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can always tell a good semi driver when he comes into the yard at work...the best pull up the farthest before backing...it gets everything lined up really straight and they usually get the truck right where I need it fastest. How long a driver has been driving doesn't always correlate to how well he can back.