Spare tire mount

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
185 Bayliner bow rider with stock Karavan trailer. There's no spare mount on the trailer. Every time I go, I have to throw the spare in my pickup bed.
Doesn't seem to be any good place to attach a spare tire mount.
What type of mounts do you guys have and where are they mounted on your trailer?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have mine mounted on the winch post. But that may not work on yours, Joe.

Not familiar with a Karavan, do you have pic?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No Title

we busted 2 of the welded carriers a few years ago.
Found some nice heavy ones from Fulton, no welds, no bolts.

Old one

popo.jpg

New one, Fulto part number 581906

photo227338.jpg

Attachments

• popo.jpg
    popo.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 0
  • popopopo.jpg
    popopopo.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
On my old bayliner trailer the best place to mount was on the frame rail up near the bow. Also broke 2 spare tire carriers similar to roscoes. I wound up just improving one bt welding on some additional bracing.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
On my double ski trailer I have a mount that is nothing but a funny shaped ubolt... It simply clamps the tire to the top of the tongue through two of the lug holes

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm in OldJeep's boat. The one I have goes up midway between the windshield and front of the boat out at an angle to account for the width of the boat. I also had a previous identical model break resulting in severe trailer damage and a near pile up on the highway on the busiest weekend of the year. The thick cable and lock and second lock system intended as security and 'just in case' all broke as well showing me the difference between my perception of what security equipment can do and the reality of physics. The manufacturer admitted they had produced a faulty product and paid for all damages and were ecstatic that nobody was killed or severely injured. They completely redesigned the product to a much higher standard.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually built one myself and welded it on my trailer. It will not break off or be in the way. And it is so easy to get too as well. And I also made some tire locks as well so IF I ever need it, it will still be there...
Resized Spare Tire.jpg
Spare Tire locks.jpg
This is a picture when they were primed ready for paint...
I made these from actually hub lug nuts and welded them to some heavy angle steel. Of course with the holes in them, when you spin them on the spare tire lugs and put a good lock through them, that tire is not going to walk away...ever! Just an idea and it works great too!

jkust

Rear Admiral
There wouldn't be enough room to place a spare holder in that location given the bow of my boat takes that space up in addition to having a break away tongue as well. That looks really sturdy and negates the problem of an angled set up which puts a lot of weight and stress on the weld points in conjunction with a poor manufacturing process.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

How about a picture of what you do have, Poconojoe?

Attachments

• photo207135.jpg
    photo207135.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Mine is mounted on my winch post with an offset adapter. I places the tire in a good spot to allow easy access into the front of the boat.

southkogs

Staff member
I've actually got one of the bolt on jobs:

Hate to admit it, but i regularly use the spare as a step up into the boat ... and it's solid and strong.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

My spare tire barely fits between the winch post and the bow.

Attachments

• photo35248.jpg
    photo35248.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My spare tire barely fits between the winch post and the bow.

Am_dew, that is exactly why I built my own setup. I actually set the winch tower back angled to allow the spare to fit there between the winch tower and the bow...

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan in welding a stub axle to my trailer so I can carry my spare hub loaded with bearings and spare all together...for now it goes in the bed of the truck til we get to the ramp then it goes in the back seat for security. I see more people fixing bearings than flat tires...maybe because they have a flat the spare is put on then they are back on the road, a bearing usually means hours on the side of the road.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For my new boat I'm planning to build a combo winch stand and ladder... This thread got me thinking and I think I'll build a spare hub and tire mount into it.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Am_dew, that is exactly why I built my own setup. I actually set the winch tower back angled to allow the spare to fit there between the winch tower and the bow...

Very nice. I wish I had the means to build something like that but the bracket I am using seems to work fine.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

I think the only chance I have is maybe something mounted on the winch post. And that seems like a slim chance.
Can't fit it on the frame in front of the bow...see picture #1
Hey, maybe under the frame in front of the bow?
Here's some pictures:

Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• photo227633.jpg
    photo227633.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227634.jpg
    photo227634.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: