Am I reading the info on my trailer correctly?

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a plate attached to my trailer with the following info:
Capacity 2800lbs
GVWR 3500lbs

That means my trailer weighs 700lbs? The boat is somewhere under 2800lbs? Would a tow vehicle with a capacity of 4500lbs be enough to pull this boat and trailer? The trailer has brakes and it's a 17' Seaswirl 170. I haven't been able to find out anything about the boats weight.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a 2005 with the Volvo 3L I/O, not sure how much different that would be compared to the 1996. It's the factory trailer so I am assuming the boat wouldn't be over the capacity limit of the trailer.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does dry weight include the engine and out drive? I need to add the weight of fuel, battery and gear?

oldjeep

Admiral
Should include engine/drive. You need to just add x gallons of fuel, batteries, any optional equipment and your stuff. Typically they run trailers and trailer tires pretty close to the edge of the weight rating, I usually bump my tires up one load rating.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, there was another tire listed on the trailer plate that gave about 200# more capacity. The tires are like new so maybe I will look at upgrading them when it's time to replace them.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmm, didn't get the notification about the new reply. I'd love to get it weighted that would make it easy but I don't have a tow vehicle right now, so that's why I was wondering about the weight so I could figure out the requirements in a vehicle.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are looking at SUVs with between 4500-5000# capacity so I think we will be ok. Thanks.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Besides truck scale - grain elevator, scrap yard/recycler, garbage transfer station, landfill, rock quarry, some small meat packing houses, basically any business that deals with commodities or charges/sells by weight.

That's about the order I'd try as the last few may or may not let you use the scale depending on how busy they are.