Replacement trailer frame?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Soo I'm facing the same old trailer too short issue we get here all the time and had a thought.

I have a 7000 ezloader trailer that's about 5' too short for my new 5500 lb boat... I have a lot of good and new stuff on it and 30' trailers are hard to find and very pricey...

Has anyone ever come up with a source for replacement frames?

This is a completely bolt together trailer so the frame parts I need are simply box tube with a bend at one end.... I do have a possible source to have the tube custom bent but would also consider just buying the two parts.... Either way I would then just assemble my new longer trailer.

Btw yes I could extend the tongue but I don't like extending it that much ..... My plan is 3-4' more frame and 2-3' more tongue.

oldjeep

Admiral
If it is an ezloader and bolts together from the factory, have you contacted them to see if they will sell you the rails for whatever the next size up is?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? It states that the simplest solution to a problem is usually the correct one. Extending the tongue is the simplest.

I have seen trailers (cheaply made factory ) with about a 5 foot frame and 12 foot tongue so there is no real danger extending a tongue if done properly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the simplest solution would be to convert the existing trailer to cash, then convert the cash to a new 30' trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The boat is too heavy to make the tongue that long without totally redesigning the trailer plus the keel would hit the tongue if the boat were mover that far forward...

Scott you are correct if I were looking for simple.... I'm not, I'm looking for cheap and perfect... Simple if for people with far bigger budgets or lower standards than me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I fully understand tight budgets. I think I've been inventing copper wire by stretching pennies myself

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Haven't contacted them yet... Figure they will be the most expensive option so looking for other options first.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I thought about just extending the rear but considering how much they flex prefer one peice if I can find it... Welds create stress points and are likely to crack.

I also considered running long straight beams inboard of the existing frame rails but then all the crossmembers would have to be shortened.

It's a galv trailer too so that has to figure in also.

Years ago I had connections at a place that could hit dip galvanize stuff for me but I moved 6 hrs away from them nearly 10 yrs ago.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Smoke, this is twice my operating zone so I'm of no help but you do pose a very interesting problem. How about as temp use a flat bed and cradle like they did in the olden days until you can find a solution.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The boat is currently on the trailer and at my house... There are boat stands supporting the stern... I am unable to get to it for a while so am researching options...
I don't need to buy a trailer.... Worst case I'll sell my Monte Carlo without a trailer and use that one.

If I can get the frame rails and use this one for parts to build a bigger one I will... Otherwise I'll keep it as is and use it under a smaller boat.