I need a new winch

Fxportapot

Cadet
I bought a new to me bowrider I/o, we took it out for the first time today, tons of fun! My wife will not drive the boat.... Yet. Today I floated the boat onto the trailer and winched it home. The winch is worn and I'd like to replace it.....today. That leaves me with two options, Walmart or tractor supply. The current winch is 2000lb the best I can get is 1500lb today. Is that enough? If not I'll wait and get a bigger one. It's a 17' seaswirl 175

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Fxportapot, I most certainly would get the larger one. If you ever have to winch it on the trailer for some unknown reason, the larger one will be a life saver. And yes I do know of folks that had to do just that when their boat was sitting on the ramp not near the water... JMHO!

Fxportapot

Cadet
Lol!
Hope that doesn't happen. I always err on the side of safety, hence getting a new winch.
I did find one at home depot that was rated for 1500lb it says for boats a general rule thumb is you can double it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The real rule of thumb is that you ALMOST can't get too much winch... Don't get in a hurry, order a GOOD winch and preferably a two speed model.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Idk...I'm not an expert on this matter, but wouldn't you get one that is at least rated for the weight of your boat? What does your boat weigh? Make sure you account for fuel, gear and then some.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
To be safe, get one rated at least for the weight of your boat, lots of places carry boat trailer winches, even if you have to buy one online and have it delivered to you, I believe Iboats sells trailer winches, you might look through their offerings with their summer sale going on.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
The real rule of thumb is that you ALMOST can't get too much winch... Don't get in a hurry, order a GOOD winch and preferably a two speed model.

x2 on the 2 speed. I can pull my 2000# boat onto a dry trailer with the granny gear.

ziggy

Admiral
x 3 on 2 speed. + get one with neutral too. one where the crank handle can be disengaged. especially useful when letting it out. in neutral the handle won't wap ya on the wrist because ya can disengage it. mine also has a break lever. i stop deployment via the break at the wench. i've got a roller trailer so when i let the boat off, it just rolls away. hence the break being useful.

edit. what i have is a shelby industries model 5170. rated @ 2800 lbs. my boat is 19' and weight 2k lbs round abouts + gear. if this company is still around get one. my wench has been around since '72. i transferred it to my '75 boat and found a broke spring on the wench. got a hold of shelby and they were still around is mid to late 2005 round abouts. they sent me the replacement spring i needed for free.

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral
goggle shelby ind. there still in biz. bet ya find what ya want. made in USA too. what's not to like!!!!!!!!

edit. imho, phooey on walmart unless i got no choice. tractor supply less so, but still suspect... imho... i'm not big into chineeze parts less there's no option.... just my thoughts anyways.

Last edited:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
While I agree you can't get too much winch, I don't worry so much if the winch isn't rated for the full weight of the boat, engine, fuel, etc. You're not asking the winch to pull the boat up so you can hang it from the rafters. You're only asking it to slide the boat onto your trailer bunks. That requires a fraction of the strength required for a complete lift of it off the ground. Would your bow eye hold such a weight? Or would it likely rip out of your hull?

The advice you've gotten is good as to desirable features. Just don't overthink the weight capacity.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jayhanig, while I do agree with your assessment that you are not trying to lift the boat up and hang it, dragging a boat onto a trailer takes some real effort. And that effort will tax the winch. So go for bigger is better for a replacement. I personally know of folks that had to winch their boats on the trailer out of the water. Not an easy task and it was only the fact that their winch could handle the situation that saved their day. You just never know when you get into a situation trying to retrieve your boat and can't get the trailer backed far enough to float it on... JMHO!

Fxportapot

Cadet
Alright so I tried a winch from Walmart... FAIL. I drove the extra 30 minutes to Cabellas. I found a 2500# AND when I went to pick it up, I first checked the bargain cave and found the exact winch with a beat up box for $76. After putting it on the trailer I was able to winch the boat up a couple inches in my garage with a flick of the wrist!

Last edited: