Painting galvanized axle?

MRS

Commander
Just got my new galvanied axle is it ok to paint or will it hurt the protection of the galvaniz? Just wondering cause I have had lots of axle trouble with axles want to do this one right... Thanks again for any help...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Painting is fine. Its then a duplex system. However not much sticks to galvanized metal. Rustoleum has a tie coat primer that they claim sticks to galvanized.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Galvanized parts should be maintained with zinc. Spray it with cold galvanizing paint. It is avail at Home Despot and other places. It works quite well, likely better than any non-zinc paint.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a waste of both time and paint to me.....
Just bolt it up n go.....

20 years from now you can touch it up with some of the above mentioned cold galvanizing stuff.

MRS

Commander
Sounds like a waste of both time and paint to me.....
Just bolt it up n go.....

20 years from now you can touch it up with some of the above mentioned cold galvanizing stuff.

smoke it is, but just doing it so it looks good and keep Admiral happy. Man's got to do what he's got to do...:D
Thanks for all the quick replies.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Painting hot dip galvanized metal is done on the regular basis (zinc chromate primer) but there are long term consequences which need to be understood.

The reason for the use of hot dip galvanizing is the three-fold protective nature of the coating.

1. As a barrier coating, it provides a tough, metallurgical, bonded coating that completely covers the surface sealing the steel from the corrosive action of the environment.
2. Zinc?s sacrificial behavior protects the steel, even where damage or a minor discontinuity in the coating occurs.
3. Natural weathering of the coating results in the development of an additional layer of protection (zinc oxide) on the surface.

Painting a galvanized part affects all three components, but the major effect is to hinder the Zinc Oxide film (materials' primary form of protection) ineffective, if not useless. Any chips in the paint will expose the zinc to oxygen causing it to bubble and peeling the paint. Moisture gets trapped under the "loose" paint, displacing the oxygen needed to form its protective zinc oxide layer and corrosion is off to the races.

MRS

Commander
OK axle on no paint just want it to last Thanks for all the help guys. Now can get back to getting on them stripers...:fish2: