Boat and trailer weight

jstaz

Seaman
Anyone have an idea of how much a 16' fiberglass boat built in 1993 and a single axels aluminum trailer with a 2013 70hp yahama outboard with about 20 gal. fuel would weigh? I know the motor weight is 254 lbs according to yahama website.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The gas weighs about 140 lbs., so with the motor you're up to 394. Other than that, you have to take it to a scale with the lack of information. Make and model of the boat and trailer make could help.

I guess you're concerned about maxing out your tow vehicle?

jstaz

Seaman
Correct. The boat is a TD Penny which I know is a no namer and idk brand of trailer. That's sort of why I am at a loss for the weights. The vehicle I am wondering about has a 3500 lbs limit and wondered how close I would be to that or if I needed to use another vehicle.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Be sure you have a tow capacity of 3500lbs.

My 2 tow vehicles do, BUT that includes everything IN the tow vehicle, except the driver, too. So if I've got 3 passengers w an average weight of 200lbs, and 300lbs of gear in the SUV, I've only got 2600lbs of actual tow capacity.

Call your local recycling yard. As long as there isnt a line for the scales, I can drive across them w the boat and trailer, drop the trailer and move my SUV off the scales. Once weighed, I leave then come back w just the trailer and after subtracting its weight from the combined weight I get a good estimate of boat weight.

jstaz

Seaman
I'll have to see about the recycle center scales. The vehicle is stated by manufacturer to have 3500 lbs tow capacity. So far my estimate is 500 lbs on the safe side for the trailer and another 400 for motor and gas, 500 lbs for gear and passengers, leaving me with 2100 worth of boat. IDK what average is for boats that size and material so I guess I'll have to wait and see on scales. Seems it may be a little tight yet doable for that vehicle.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
A typical 16' hull will be around 1000# give or take. Gas, engine, battery and a couple life jackets will be around 500#, and trailer 450#. If you top 2000# i'd be surprised.

jstaz

Seaman
Thanks for the input fellas. Im still gunna see about making it to a scale but this info helps out!

thumpar

Admiral
My guess is that you are 1000+lbs under the limit unless the foam is waterlogged.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm with these guys on this. I don't think you've got a problem. What kind of terrain are you crossing? Pulling and stopping in hilly terrain requires more oomph than in the flatlands. I pull my 17' I/O with a 3 liter Ford Ranger with 2wd and automatic transmission. I live on the coast so I never deal with hills.

You might consider getting a Scan Gauge II so you can monitor your transmission temps. Also, get a transmission cooler installed if you don't already have one. My truck came with what Ford claimed was a towing package, yet there wasn't a cooler installed until I did it myself.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Id say no more than 2300 with trailer and all your stuff in it. Took my 19' foot to a truck stop last year and it was 2600.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Here's a search link for truck scales suitable for your purpose. I used one of these to weigh my boat and trailer a few years ago.

Last edited: