GREAT FISHING, BAD TIRES

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. I went fishing last week 300 miles from my home. I lost the tread on one of my tires going up and lost the tread on my spare coming home. Cost $345.00 for one tire in the middle of nowhere but at least I made it home! My tires looked good but must have been old. Anyway, I 'm asking for advice on a couple of new tires as to what brand and any other advice you can give me. Tire size is 205/75R14. Thanks.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
What kind of weight are you hauling? 1 axle or 2? I like the Kenda loadstar in that size. Available in C or D rating.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
WOW! 345 bucks? I need to buy a couple of 215-75s and was hoping to get away with about a buck-fifty each.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I just bought some 215/75/14 Hartlands (Discount Tire's Store Brand) and they took a 700 mile trip through the Arizona desert last week pretty well. I got the free replacement certificate for $11 extra per tire.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Single axle trailer (2,340 lbs). The one tire was that expensive because I was in the middle of nowhere and had no choice.:eek:

robert graham

Admiral
Trailer tires just don't seem to hold up like car tires...I replace my 14 inch trailer tires every 3rd year....most any tire store has them for about $100 each.....a couple of tread separations/blow-outs on I-95 cured me of gambling with the tires!....sorta like outboard water pump impellers....change 'em Before they fail!....

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I put 4 new Maxxis under the trailer of my SeaRay this spring. Guy at Discount tire tried to sell me on Goodyear Marathons & questioned why I wanted Maxxis. I told him all my non-scientific research on the net pointed toward that brand as being one of the better trailer tires.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
My local tire shop has a couple of radial trailer tires for me. Mounted, balanced, tax, etc. $185.00 Not sure of the brand but I'll look for the ones you mentioned. Walmart has them for $50.00 a tire but I was told to be careful of the date codes.Thanks.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How come not carrying a spare?

I had a brand new set of Carlisle tires on my popup, first trip out, my passengers side glass fog light fell out of my S-10 and cut the drivers side camper tire.

That's my luck, a 2"x4" lens could have fallen anywhere in the road, but somehow was in perfect position to cut that tire.

Luckily I'd had a spare, so was on my way in no time, but was a little nervous on the way home with no spare.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Reading comprehension man..;-)

He had TWO tire failures.... We can only assume that since he only bought one tire that he must have put his spare on when the first one failed. Jus sayin.... :D

I'm beggin you to at least look into a pair of Yokohama Y354 LT tires. You don't need to use trailer tires; also you don't need to be as wide as 205; trailers have no need for the road friction of wider tires. Check out the Yoko LT 195/70/14 "Super Van tires" made in the good old US of Japan. Did you know that every ST (trailer only) tire on the market is made in China? Even Goodyears, Maxxis, Kendas, Carlysles. Just sayin'.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My Maxxis tires that I just bought one month ago are not made in China.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I went from bias to radials, will never go back. Much smoother softer ride. Hardly feel my 18' bowrider behind my truck. With the bias, it used to bounce all over.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will narrower tires fit on my rims? Going smaller would be fine with me if it will work.