Can you post pics of your U-Bolt Trailer Steps/Planks?

Pusher

Lieutenant
I want a way of safely walking my boat off the trailer without spoiling the oysters. I'm not convinced a wood plank would look good, but it seems to be the cheapest method.
I would like to do aluminum or galvanized steel, but those seem to get too expensive or so small they wouldn't look good.

Ideally, I would find an abandoned aluminum picnic table bench and use the full 7' length but as of yet I haven't come upon any :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I like the idea of having a step there. I purchased a tire mount that might position the tire in the right spot for a step though.

Alternatively, if someone with a flat bottom needed a step, I think they could use a tire mount mounted to the trailer using the "tire end" and mounted vertical. You might need to google one to see what I mean, but it would be much cheaper than a conventional step, and function the same.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...0CAQQMygBMAE4ZGoVChMIjNHurO6AxwIVUQeOCh3j2gp_

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I want a way of safely walking my boat off the trailer without spoiling the oysters. I'm not convinced a wood plank would look good, but it seems to be the cheapest method.
I would like to do aluminum or galvanized steel, but those seem to get too expensive or so small they wouldn't look good.

Ideally, I would find an abandoned aluminum picnic table bench and use the full 7' length but as of yet I haven't come upon any :)

Thanks for your feedback.

It's OK to back the trailer into the oyster bed, but no walking on them. :lol:

Wood works, is non-slip and lasts forever in most cases. Mine is 50 years old and other than being an aged dark gray color is perfect. As far as looking good, who cares? You're looking first of all for function. You won't see the empty trailer while you're on the water and it sits under the boat the rest of the time.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I don't have any pics but mine is simple ... I just added a 2x8 across the frame sections and parallel to the tongue, boat sits up high enough there is no issue with it hitting the hull. Go to your local hardware or tractor supply and buy some u-bolts wide enough to span your trailer frame and long enough to pass thru 2x8 and thickness of trailer frame. Add a couple u-bolts to keep 2x8 in place and you have a heavy duty walk way. I only used 2 u-bolts to hold an 8' 2x8.Works great.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I was thinking about running the walkway along the outside frame so I could step up to the boat easier if need be. Do you find it easier to launch/retrieve if it is down the middle?

64osby

Admiral
I added this to my roller trailer

ShorelinerTrailerWalkRamp.jpg

It is 12' long 10" wide southern yellow pine that has non slip strips stuck on and then painted.

Works great for my needs.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks, Government Cheese! We just got one of these in town. I might take a lunch break to see if these are in stock.

64osby:
Did you need to extend the supports across the full width for strength/stability, or did you run a plank on the other side too? Those or just steel square tubes?

Thanks,

64osby

Admiral
It has 1 1/4" square tubes that run frame to frame, thick wall tubing. They only stick out on this side, only 1 ramp.