Ford Escape feeling sluggish

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I current use a 2011 Ford Escape to tow a boat that is maybe 1600 lbs dry plus trailer. The braking is fine but getting up to highway speeds I pretty much have to floor it until I get there. The towing capacity it 3500 lbs so I have not idea why it would feel this way. Any ideas?

oldjeep

Admiral
I would guess it is because a Ford Escape is a teeny tiny little car with a little motor.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I'd suggest weighing your boat and trailer - I think you'll be surprised what it actually weighs.
It is a 14 ft runabout that is water logged (not for long though, doing a rebuild on a new hull) with a '77 50 hp on it. Also has a somewhat heavy trailer so that is why I guessed 1600 lbs. Where would one even go to weight the boat/trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With trailer, gear, fluids, and stuff ( including about 400# of water since you are waterlogged) my guess is you are at or above your towing capacity

meder24

Seaman
Does your vehicle give you the ability to shift gears manually? I used to do this with my old Nitro and it helped a ton. This way you can up or downshift as needed to give you a little more pull.
You also have to remember that just because you can tow with your vehicle doesn't mean it is meant to operate exactly the same way whether towing or not. Meaning it is not meant to accelerate the same way while towing as when you are not towing anything.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You are 17. The Escape is not a truck nor a real tow vehicle. Even with a V6 it will be a bit slow. I have towed an 18 foot fiberglass runabout with a 4 cylinder Chevy cavalier.

Sorry if I appear to be profiling you BUT: Your definition of "sluggish" may be way different than older members on the forum. I remember when I was 17, I never went anywhere at less than 60 and used to play doubles with speed limit signs.

Last edited:
Another thought. Maybe it IS actually sluggish. New Spark plugs? New gas filter? New Air filter? Run a can of SeaFoam through your tank? New PCV valve? Bad gasoline? Boat & car tires inflated ok?
2011 V6 should have plenty of pep and torque.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
You are 17. The Escape is not a truck nor a real tow vehicle. Even with a V6 it will be a bit slow. I have towed an 18 foot fiberglass runabout with a 4 cylinder Chevy cavalier.

Sorry if I appear to be profiling you BUT: Your definition of "sluggish" may be way different than older members on the forum. I remember when I was 17, I never went anywhere at less than 60 and used to play doubles with speed limit signs.
I guess you are likely right, I do tend to go a bit fast so maybe it is just the difference I am noticing and not anything wrong with the car.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tow a boat and trailer (2,340lbs) with my 2008 Ford Escape. 3 liter V6 200hp. I go up long hills at 55 - 60 mph at 6 000' elev. 2nd gear 4000 rpm. works just fine. Make sure your catalytic converter isn't getting restricted.