X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flying boat towable Video

Would any of you guys try this?
    Shop at iboats.com

I personnally would not do that, but it looks like a lot of fun.One downside I see is, what would happen if that flying tube flipped over in the air? The rider would hit the water pretty hard.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
    2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
    Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
    Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

Originally posted by DRS4164 View Post
      I personnally would not do that, but it looks like a lot of fun.One downside I see is, what would happen if that flying tube flipped over in the air? The rider would hit the water pretty hard.

I agree.

I also wonder how they get back on the water without smashing their face into the tube.
      Shop at iboats.com

Comment

With the number of years behind me, and load of responsibilities I now have, I wouldn't. But I'm sure my son and his friends would.

Comment

That is crazy! I would try it, but then again it combines my two favorite things. The lake, and flying. Wooohooo what a blast!!!!
          Starcraft Transom Repair http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...om-640860.html
          Stratos Restore Thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ep-630863.html
          Dave
          Elizabethton Tennessee

Comment

Wonder what happens to the towee when the tower chops the throttle. I can envision the flyer zooming over the towing boat until it runs out of towline. That's assuming it doesn't crash into the boat. There may be more than a few reasons why these aren't on the market any more.
            BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
              Wonder what happens to the towee when the tower chops the throttle ...
              ^^^^ knowing what my brother, dad and I did to each other on skis ... the temptations with that thing would have been overwhelming.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_270443_1499813187632_202[/ATTACH]

Comment

I think I could get talked into giving it a try .. Knowing my luck I would probably go head on with a low flying pelican ...
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                '64 MFG Rebuild
                MFG forum thread http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...at-restoration

Comment

I have done it on a similar tube and its scarey but fun. If you fall off your hurting. As for the landing and such, towing this thing requires an experienced boat driver and an empty lake.

Comment

Remember the 'Kite Tube' from a few years ago (maybe more years than that) ???

Quite a few folks were seriously injured, paralyzed, etc. Also some deaths . . .

It seems when things did become unstable and flipped the kite/tube, the combined impact of speed and height was such that injury (or worse) was common.

those things disappeared from the market after about a 1 year stint.
                    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

I clock in at 6'2" and about 385. (Think line backer) So.....they're going to need:

1. Bigger tube
                      2. Faster tow vehicle
                      sigpic
                      2000 Rinker Fiesta Vee 270-5.7 Mercruiser/TBI/Bravo 3
                      1986 Smokercraft 161 Magnum-1986 Mariner 75 O/B

Comment

It has or more properly HAD more than a few problems.
                        The design with the Pilot Above the wing made stability very marginal.
                        The speed window between where it lifted off and where it became unstable was well less than 5 mph.
                        If the boat driver way not extremely accurate on the throttle and the observer didn't call out the speed adjustments. It ended badly.
                        The person on the tube needed to understand aerodynamic stability, Weight and Balance, or it ended badly.
                        Add any alcohol to the mix and it ended badly. Typically like This.

Having said all that, I think there is a market for a well designed flyable towable.
                        A single seat cockpit towable with a modified Kite Surfing Canopy above it, sounds like something more reasonable.
                        A couple of toggle lines to the canopy for the rider would allow control of the flight, Left, Right, Up and Down.
                        For example, if the rider did not pull the control lines, it would not take off, and it he let go in flight, it would land.

Bill, Lorain Ohio

Comment

Working...
                        X