floating foam pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floating foam pads

My wife is wanting to get one of those 12x18 floating foam pads that everyone is using now. I balk at the extreme price of them, about $600-$1000 dollars.. for foam. Surely this foam is used in some other type of commercial application and is super cheap by the cubic yard. Is this something made specifically for boating where they can charge obscene prices, or does it have a more common name or is otherwise used for something commercial and could be super cheap?
    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000 SS (5.7 VP/SX-C1)
    1991 Kawasaki 550SX
    1990 Kawasaki 650SX
    Two Kayaks, 1 tandem, one single
    ISO another standup

material specific to the market they are in.

the lilly pad brand 18' is $490 (12' is $425) on their site, cheaper at places like Target
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

See, I think thats still too expensive. I can buy a whole used boat engine for $490, I'm not going to buy a piece of foam for that. To me, that's just insane. Looks to be around $80-$150 tops for something like a piece of foam that is super easy to make.
      1991 Kawasaki 550SX
      1990 Kawasaki 650SX
      ISO another standup

Comment

boating is an expensive hobby. infact BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand

I personally wouldnt trust a motor for under what a good set of gaskets costs.
        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Going off topic here, but boating isn't that expensive when you do your own maintenance and take care of your things. Accidents happen, but if you maintain your equipment and don't rely on dealers or super expensive markups on "boating" equipment that has the automotive equivalent, it can be done on the cheap and safe.

At any rate, until prices go down on the foam, I'll not be a buyer. I'll continue to use inflatables that work almost as well and take a whole 2 minutes longer to get out on the water.
          1991 Kawasaki 550SX
          1990 Kawasaki 650SX
          ISO another standup

Comment

Funny, my wife and I have been seeing those things rolled up on passing boats. We were wondering what the heck they were and how they were used. We figured some sort of flotation device, but we thought that would be dangerous if it were to wrap around you. Thinking like the bubble wrap solar cover on our pool. There are warnings on how someone can drown if they get tangled in it. So, enlighten me....how are these things used?

Comment

joe, a pic is worth a thousand

taken from the Target web site

Past Boats

Comment

I'd prefer individual foam pads. That way when someone wet-farts one, you can still get away.
                San Diego, CA "The 619"

"Nemo" (since Jul 2004): 1978 StarCraft 15' TriStar, 1978-88 "FrankenMotor" Mercury 70
                Unnamed (since Dec 2016): 2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 CC, 2014 Mercury OptiMax 125

"It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission" -Colin Powell, et.al.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                  joe, a pic is worth a thousand

taken from the Target web site

Thanks for the picture!
                  Seems to me, for the price of those things, just buy a boat!

Comment

you cant roll the boat up, strap to the front of the pontoon and move to another location and unroll it though

Past Boats

Comment

Ha! A roll-up boat!

Comment

Working...
                      X