My Lil Gaffer

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have three boat all of which are in various states of being worked on, last year I was given a small gaffer, she is 16 foot long, timber, runs a timber mast and boom with a single gaff sail, she is very very aged, Im unsure how old it is but construction techniques and style of boat Id take a guess and say she is 1930s or 40s, I wouldnt call it a trailer boat either I cant imagine what a trailer for it would look like, during the process of cleaning the hull I found copper anti foul on the bottom, you wouldnt anti foul a trailer boat, the guy I got it from thought she may have either been built in Scotland or New Zealand, Im guess the latter the frames look to be made of Kauri Pine, the mast Im thinking is Celery Top, boom and gaff Im sure are cedar there very light, sail is nylon, the rudder is massive and strongly built, the pintles that hold rudder to the stern are solid bronze and half inch pins, all the nails and screws are bronze, a little bit of modern stuff is present, lots of bronze and copper fittings, she was pretty tired when I got it , she had been stored out in the open and over time the weather got to it, it needed a little bit of rot removal, at the moment Im still repairing the keel and the bottom as it will need to be fibre glassed below the water line, its a very unusual looking hull, Ill get some photos up soon, I have many questions on rigging, I know it had a bow sprit but I didnt get it or the tiller handle I need to fabricate these up, I want to run a small jib, I have found an antique snubbing winch ill fit on the fore peak at some stage, is there a rule of thumb for length of bow sprits?, the mast has two small pulleys either side of the halyard, on the transom are two bronze chain plates so Im guessing it had back stays to flex the mast?, it has a primitive boom vang, the keel on the insid eof the boat at the rear about one foot in front of the transom is a bronze U piece thats fitted to the keel with a big bronze through bolt Im assuming the boom tackle was fitted to this, I have a track with a running car Ill use in place of this, old is nice but ease of use is practical to me lol, it has no bouyancy at all, simple plank seats, Ill make some practical modifications but try and keep things aged, I have questions about the gaff itself and rigging it but pics will make what im saying make sense. Just incase any aussies who have been around the scene may know of it, her name is Puffin and she was bright yellow and red cedar coloured

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds like a pretty boat ... but I've got no clue on how to rebuild one. I love Gaff rig and Cat rig boats to sail, but I've never owned either. I'm most familiar with sloops, but haven't ever really built one of those.

I'm guessing the rig you mention at the transom is the traveler, but you may have a downhaul somewhere in there too. Usually the downhaul is up by the mast.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Around the base of the mast is 3 cleats one on each side and one on the back so u haul the sail and tie it off around the back cleat, the side cleats I assume are for the back stays which means the back stays would have been rope, the sail uses a modern c stainless track and the sail has the little nylon plastic guides that run up in it, I have played with this and the sail runs up and down fine without binding long as you squirt a bit of wd40 on it first, the boom has its own little strip of c channel and has a stainless car with a pull knob to raise and lower the boom, I have found a nice piece of old bronze track and a bronze boom bracket, I also have a long strip of bronze channel for the mast and an old sail with the bronze cars this i will fit at some stage, the gaff also has a stainless bracket that slides up in the c channel, the line to haul this is just connected to this via a shackle, this leads to other questions, but I need to add pics of this before I bamboozle people with this set up, the boom at the transom end about 300 mm in from the end there are 3 holes drilled through the boom I can only assume the twin pulley set up was tied to the boom, again pics need to be added to sort this, Ill aim for tomorrow to get pics, Ill have to right the hull to take pics

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The bronze boom fitting and track I h ave to fit on it

Attachments

• photo217869.jpg
    photo217869.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

couple more pics note the transom

Attachments

• photo217872.jpg
    photo217872.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217873.jpg
    photo217873.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like a pretty boat ... but I've got no clue on how to rebuild one. I love Gaff rig and Cat rig boats to sail, but I've never owned either. I'm most familiar with sloops, but haven't ever really built one of those.

I'm guessing the rig you mention at the transom is the traveler, but you may have a downhaul somewhere in there too. Usually the downhaul is up by the mast.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Pics up, most should be self explanatory

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The last pic shows the loop on the keel inside which I think is for the boom tackle
As I said I have a sliding set up I pulled off a small 14 foot skiff I scrapped for the stainless fittings and screws

southkogs

Staff member
Dagger board is kinda' interesting. I was expecting a centerboard fixed into the hull. That cleat below the mast is the downhaul. Didn't see the ones on the side, they might be the halyard cleats. It wouldn't surprise me if you don't have stays on the mast ... especially if it runs all the way down to the sole.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes well on the top of the mast you have the halyard the bolt through the mast that holds this halyard pulley in place has a seperate pulley on either side, so the top of the mast has 3 pulleys, the halyard and the two outers, these outers im sure are back stay pulleys, so the line runs from the chain plate son the transom up to the pulleys on the top of the mast and down to the cleats on the sides of the mast base, I can only guess these are to apply flex to rearward flex to the mast. The daggerboard is nearly 2 meters long,

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yep the mast does have stays for sure, these days you probably wouldnt bother with a new build boat, she does not have a hollow section mast its solid timber not particularly light either Im guessing it would be kauri pine or celery top pine there nice and straight grained and knot free the dagger board is nearly 2 meters long, when you have a good look at the hull she doesnt give the idea she would heel over during tack, it has a full length keel, if you were quick enough you may have noticed the mount on the transom for a british seagull auxiallary motor many moons ago the preferred aux of the sailing fraternity I have thrown this away, I havent decided on a motor for it yet, friend of mine uses an electric trolling motor on his boat of the same size and it pokes it along quiet well, hopefully I will get the bottom part of the hull fibreglassed and painted up in the next few weeks before we get our first frosts of the coming winter so when shes up turned again Ill throw the mast in it and take some good photos of it

southkogs

Staff member
Three pulleys at the top on a gaff rig (I think anyway) should be peak and "throat" halyards and the lazy jack, right? Does it have a jib?

Winter?!? LOL ... y'all really are on the other side of the world ;)

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Didnt come with a jib but its no big deal to set one up I already plan to do this , I have to make and fit a bow sprit, it had one at some time, it had some front damge when I got it, rumor it was dropped when being shipped over from New Zealand, yes we have winter lol if were are getting cold you guys will be getting warm lol