Interesting day on the water

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Since I'm still learning this boat and winds were weak, thought it would be a good day to experiment.

I was passed by water-bugs.. LOL!

Wind was swirling and hard to find a line to follow..
Only good point.. Others were going through the same..
Just didn't like being passed by water-bugs...

Still consider it a good day!

southkogs

Staff member
If you don't have tell-tales on the boat in a couple of places, I recommend getting some. Especially in light winds, they can really help you make sense outta' what the wind is (or isn't) doing.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I can now see why! I have a wind indicator mounted on the mast top, but can now see why you'd want some tell-tales on the sails. Kinda stops that guessing game of where to trim.. When I thought I was in a good placement, and not moving (much), I'd let go of the tiller and let the boat correct. She always went to a better spot than I thought and grabbed the tiller to hold her there. Then played with trim (in the guessing game) and won less than I lost.. Had some interesting 'one-way' conversations with water-bugs passing me.. LOL!

I was passed closely by another (stole what wind I had and apologized for doing so), wind so low we conversed for a few minutes.
He was set tight, but the big thing I saw was his Jib was short of the mast.
Contrary, to what I'd think..
His shorter Jib was not interfering with his main in low wind?
Smaller jib in low wind??
Or just keep it short??

southkogs

Staff member
I'm not sure on the partially reefed jib. I never quite learned how/why to do that. You can sail under jib alone, but (if I "get it" properly) the jib's primary function is to act as an air foil to help the performance of the main ... if that's the case, then reefing it down a bit in lower winds would give (in theory) greater access to the available wind to the main ...

... maybe :redface:

olddawgsrule

Seaman
SK, I understand what your saying and agree one helps the other.
We used to run from Harbor under Jib alone (my job back then), so I have some experience (emphasize some) knowledge of what the Jib can do.
What I saw was the Jib being longer than the mast, took away from the main.
Proof of this would be the tell-tales you suggest.
What I also saw that day was the folks out for the Race were running short Jibs'.

My tendency is to open the sails and draw them in to the point of best.
I found myself lofting (?) the jib and drawing in till she was quite.
That ended up being forward of the mast...

I remember days on the 'Big Pond' and my Captain saying "loosen up" and feeling the strength in the Jib.
Thinking, I have her doing the most she can.. Why?
I'm beginning to understand it a bit more now
Sittin' in the Backseat...

Goal is to beat out those 'water-bugs'...LOL!