Understanding the data

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I'm searching for a sailboat and researching each I find.
Now I could use some assistance understanding what this means.
I can guess.. but I'd rather you tell me..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Disp.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 650 lbs./ 295 kgs.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ballast:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 600 lbs. / 272 kgs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]SA/Disp.:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 33.10[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Bal./Disp.:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 92.20%[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Disp./Len.:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 74.27[/FONT]

This is the first time I've seen the Bal./Disp % that high..

southkogs

Staff member
Looks as though you're lookin' at a racing boat. That's a buncha' ballast, but she's designed to sail easy in light wind if that SA/Disp ratio is dead on. The Capri 14.2 I mentioned in your other thread had a 110ft2 sail area giving it a SA/DISP ratio of 36.17. You could gain 3kts just by sneezing in that boat, and she was designed for some racing (but it was a centerboard boat).

What kinda' boat?

olddawgsrule

Seaman
My apologies for being late coming back.. Been out of town on a project.

That Bal/Disp through me way off for what I thought I was understanding..
Reason I asked the question.

It's a Sailstar 17
Old bird, like me...
But beautiful to look at, as I wish I was.. but would look pretty good in this gal!

So where do I want the Bal/Disp % to be for a stable but faster boat?
And just what do all these numbers really mean?

southkogs

Staff member
That sail star is going to have a very low BAL/DISP if not completely zero. Displacement is how much water she's movin' outta' her way (sailboat hulls push water they really don't get up on top of it like a power boat). Ballast is how much counter weight has been added to the keel to offset the wind pushing on the sails.

SA/DISP ratio is how much sail to displacement the boat has - how many square feet of sail in relationship to how much water she moves. BAL/DISP ratio is how much ballast she has in relationship to how much water she moves. In a boat like the Sailstar, it's more than likely got a centerboard as opposed to a weighted keel, so that ratio should be about nil. DISP/LEN is how much water she's movin' with respect to how long the hull is.

The higher the SA/DISP ratio, the less wind it takes to affect the boat. Usually a high ratio indicates a sailboat that is designed to move quickly for it's size.

The higher the BAL/DISP ration, the more "stiff" the boat will be against the wind: won't heel as much. But, usually you've added ballast that makes the hull heavier and affects your SA/DISP ratio.

Pull up the data on a Capri 14.2: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5375 This is a small, centerboard boat with enough sail to race a little but really designed to cruise.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I did find a 16.6 Capri, and at a reasonable price (for age, condition and what came with her), just not within my current budget. He was not willing to negotiate at all..
I did buy a DS17, mid 80's (will confirm once I find that plackert) at a very reasonable dollar.
She was in the water and saw she's tight.
Took her for a short run and wifey was happy!
That's the first curve!
Me, I'd like something quicker.. but I'm going to take this one step at a time.

If she rides this and asks, "Can we go faster"!
It was short enough dollar to add to the play fund and search out a Capri.

Thank you for the advise!

southkogs

Staff member
Hey congratulations! Put some photos up ... I can vicariously sail that way :D

Specs on the O'Day look good. Good chance she'll be a sporty little sailer.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
No Title

First is the Maiden voyage. The second is me coming in on the mooring.
Loved the help I willingly received to rig her.
Sorry there wasn't enough wind to get her running.
As they left, and left me to my own means, Ya Baby, the winds came up!

Two beautiful reaches (maybe the right term?) and had to bring her home.

Smiled as I brought her in, smiled to see my canoe back in service, smiled to think of what was coming next!

Went out again the following day and watched the race that happens every Sunday.
Sailed around them and enjoyed the experience!
Laughed as I sailed past another anchored watching the race and he saw what I was doing.
He lifted anchor and figure he wanted what I was doing!

Yes, Me thinks I really like this sailing thing, especially when I'm running the sails!

Attachments

• photo205733.jpg
    photo205733.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo205735.JPG
    photo205735.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Cool! Good times and congratulations.

We used to say that anytime we made it back to the dock with the keel down and sails up was a good run.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
That be the case.. It was a Good Sunday! Never started the motor!
Thank you for your help.
There may be more requests coming...