Sailstar Explorer 17'

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I've been debating for some time now to switch over from power to sail.
Two weekends back I had my Nephew put my wife on his J24 and told him to go easy.
She loved how quite it was and how it moved along.
While she was smilin', he kicked it up a bit and a great big smile came on her face!
Me thinks she gets it.

So I'm shopping for a decent 18-22ft and find anything over 18' seems to jump right into a 'Pocket Cruiser'..
Her only complaint was size of cockpit.
Like the way she thinks, cause I'm the same way.
Don't need a cabin if we're not going to use it..

In my searching I stumbled upon this Sailstar Explorer 17.
Hits all the points of what we're after and it's in very good shape.
She's 55 years old!!
Okay so wife and I are a bit older, but still..

I'm about to go look at her.
If it's like what the pictures show, she's been well taken care of (she shimmer's in the sunlight).

$1250 is asking.. Not figuring he's off for what I know now..

Questions:
Anyone here own one?
If the sails are original.. What to expect of material?
I know how to look for defects in fiberglass.. but just how good was the lay-up 50 years ago?
What else should I be looking for?

All opinions are welcome.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
A further conversation with a friend asked a question I couldn't answer...
Would it have been a wood mold/skeleton and laid-up from that?
What I've learned is that they foam molded to make it un-sinkable, but still, wood skeleton?
I tend to think so.. but you tell me if you can..

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard olddawgsrule:

In a used boat it's all about condition. There's a great thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist on what to look for when buying a used boat. Add to that list the rigging on a sail boat (centerboard, rudder, stays, lines, hardware, etc.). If there's a fitting on it that doesn't seem to have a purpose - figure out why.

I don't know that sailboat very well (haven't owned a sailboat in quite a while, but still like it when I can get out on one), but likely it's a wood frame and fiberglass hull. You don't really have stringers in a displacement hull, but it's the same general idea as a planing hull. That said ... there is no boat that is unsinkable ;)

If those sails are original, it's a good chance you might have cotton or flax canvas which would be pretty cool lookin'. Though I would think the modern sail materials provide a little better shaping against using the wind.

Nothing wrong with a 50 year old boat as long as it was cared for.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
olddawg - if cockpit size is more important than having a cabin, I would highly recommend you find a Hunter 216 to look at. they have a weighted drop keel, are very fun to sail, and the cockpit is huge by sailing standards.

I have an O'day 19. could prob squeeze 6 in the seats but would be very snug. 4 is more comfy

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Have a 192 on the short list, but too much cabin.. I will research and search. Thank you!

southkogs

Staff member
If you're looking and not completely settled on the Sailstar, see if you can track down a Capri (made by Catalina). We had a 15 (think it was a 14.2), but they also had a 16 footer. It was a very nice sailing sloop, easy to rig and roomy (we used to put a family of four in the 15 foot). It'll trailer nice and has a enough sail to actually race.