Sea Scouts of America...

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure how many of you have ever heard of the Sea Scouts of America. I know I hadn't heard of them until my 14 y/o daughter came to us and ask if she could join a local troop. They are a branch of the Boy Scouts, but have girls and boys and they teach all about boating and water activities, whether it sailing, kayaking, power boating, or even scuba diving. My daughter started with them in mid March and on March 29th I went along on her first sail with them on the largest boat in their fleet, Fay's Lift, a 26 foot Westerly (or is it Westerbeke?). I had only sailed a couple of times in my younger years with my dad on his Hobie Cat, but I pretty much enjoy anything on the water. Since then we have gone on two more sailing adventures in the smaller boats.

Our troop is 208 in Baytown, TX. The boats in the fleet are all donated to us from individuals who either aren't able to sail them anymore due to health, or just don't have the time. Some that have been donated were already sea worthy while others have needed work. The kids have been taught a little about fiberglass repairs and have made their own creations out of fiberglass.

I don't have pictures of all the boats in our fleet, but I caught a few, so see below.

Don't get me to lieing about the models of the below boats, but I think I'm pretty close on the size LOL.

Fay's Lift - 26 foot Westerly (or westerbeke, you tell me)
Adrianna - 16 foot
Gulf Coast - 16 foot
2x Sunfish that are still being repaired
not yet named Catamaran that we just got, a Makino maybe? Needs some repair
George - 16 foot Boston Whaler chase boat

Pics below...
Adrianna...

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Sea Scouts of America...

Those are Venture crews aren't they? We've got one that started in the area a couple years ago. Our Civil Air Patrol Squadron is dual chartered with Venture, so we can use the boat they have here - 24' sloop, I think. We've not made it out though.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those are Venture crews aren't they? We've got one that started in the area a couple years ago. Our Civil Air Patrol Squadron is dual chartered with Venture, so we can use the boat they have here - 24' sloop, I think. We've not made it out though.

Yes Venture crews. I know I did some Venture training on the BSA website.

southkogs

Staff member

Kinda' cracks me up a little 'cuz we've got Navy Sea Cadets around the area here too. To my knowledge they don't have a boat, but Venture Sea Scouts do. Y'all have fun. Sailing is a great skill to learn and lots of fun.

MikDee

Banned

Sea Scouts!? Are they still around? Interesting, nice pix! I joined the Sea Scouts when I was 10, and lived in Brooklyn, N.Y. over 55yrs ago! There was no boats, or even water around nearby? I wasn't with them long, before we moved out to Long Island to a new house..

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sea Scouts!? Are they still around? Interesting, nice pix! I joined the Sea Scouts when I was 10, and lived in Brooklyn, N.Y. over 55yrs ago! There was no boats, or even water around nearby? I wasn't with them long, before we moved out to Long Island to a new house..

Well, we have lots of water around here LOL. Lake Houston, San Jacinto River, Trinity River, Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston, Houston Ship Channel LOL, Galveston Bay, and Gulf of Mexico, all within an hour driving distance, most of which are within 10 minutes.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Wow, it's good to know that Sea Scouts are still around. I was one in the late 60's. Sure brings back some happy memories.

robgonsailing

Recruit

I was part of the local Sea Scouts in the early 2000's. Based out of Tacoma, WA they operate a 90 wooden yawl and take Boy Scout troops for week long tours during the summer.

odyssey.jpg

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We just got a 25 foot MacGregor and trailer donated last week! It has some hull damage along the lower port side that we are going to have to repair. The guy was camping in it early last week and it got picked up in a water spout at 5am and thrown onto some rocks. I guess it scared the guy so much that he decided to get rid of it. It has a 50hp Tohatsu outboard on it and is a 1999 model. It came with a trailer that needs work, but we were able to get it out of the water and pulled it to the house to start work on it.