Help ID an old boat

joemac356

Cadet
I'm about to take on an old sailboat I found in someone's back yard.
About all I've been able to get from the owner is that it's a Vanguard. He gave me a model number of
Type-Int 476
Hull-963

I've tried looking it up on the interwebz and came up with nada.

I could probably post a couple of photos on here.

I'm going to have lots of questions.
Never sailed before.

Mr5cott

Cadet
Re: Help ID an old boat

posting pics would be good. Helpful is it wood or glass or metal hull? year? length? I too was searching for sailboats or was going to build one. Right now I can afford it but one day. The when that time comes I too will be learning to sail. Good luck

joemac356

Cadet

BOAT from left.jpgBOATfront.jpgBOATdolly.jpgBOATmast.jpg

Here she is, in all her glory.

The hangup is going to be getting registration for the boat and the trailer. The guy I'm getting it from has no paperwork, I'll be checking with a notary/tag service today.

Mr5cott

Cadet

So no idea on year? best I have been able to find is a vanguard 470 or 4.7 meters. looks similar though.

joemac356

Cadet

Thanks, I tried Laser after researching Vanguard. Laser doesn't have any info that I could find. I think the boat is too old.
I have to look into titling and registering both the boat and the trailer. If it's too much of a rigmarole, I'm gonna pass.

southkogs

Staff member

Dunno' where you are, but here in TN a bill of sale will be plenty to get it registered. Identifying it as a Vanguard would be fine. If it's post '73 (I think) there should be a Hull ID Number (HIN) stamped in the stern somewhere (outside, usually just under the rub rail if yours has one). If there's no HIN, I think in TN they can assign you one.

Check your local and state laws.

The owner doesn't have any registration for it? No registration numbers on the side?

Last edited:

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is an international 470 which is a class of sailing dinghy raced in the summer olympics. It is kind of a big brother to the 420 club and international boats which are popular trainer/racers amoung youth sailing programs. In the U.S. it is not that popular of a boat, which doesn't mean it's a bad boat but in small sailboat racing popularity is everything. If you move to a town with an active laser fleet and a 505 fleet, you aren't going to run out and get a 470 to sail unless you are training for the olympics.