Repower question

walkin_man

Cadet
Greetings. I've got an Atomic-4 in a Pearson Triton that either needs a rebuild, or just replacement. The price of a new Beta or Yanmar puts them out of my range ($6,700. 13.5 hp Beta), so either I rebuild the A4 (not likely around here), or start thinking more seriously about an outboard.

While I cringe a little to think of messing up that pretty transom with an outboard bracket (is a windvane really any prettier?), I don't know how little hp I could get away with if I did.

And what about a bracket? I used a Garelick(?) bracket on a Cal 24 years ago to mount an Evinrude 9.9, but that was a 2-stroke. These heavy 4-strokes nowadays have me thinking that a closer, stronger mount might be better (like a modified jack plate). The thought also occurs to me that I would need to set up a steering system on it so the engine would follow the stick. The Cal had almost no steerage with the rudder and I had to steer with the engine. Prop behind the rudder problem.

So I'm wondering if other iBoaters have run into this and could offer some suggestions.

28.5' LOA, 8.25' BOA, 21.5' LWL, 8,000lbs (approx)

Thanks!

Paul

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Repower question

Minimum 9.8 hp. Yes, there are Garelick 4-stroke brackets. But why not just refresh the A4?

walkin_man

Cadet

Minimum 9.8 hp. Yes, there are Garelick 4-stroke brackets. But why not just refresh the A4?

Thanks. I talked to a guy a while back who put a 6hp on a Triton, but he said the boat wouldn't move against a current. The idea of that arrangement in something like the rip at Jewfish Creek during a tide gives me the willies.

I talked to a guy at Moyer's Marine who said most A4's were really only putting out about 15hp anyway. He didn't say how they made this determination though. This one I have is the later incarnation with the oil fill on the front.

As to rebuilding the A4, there doesn't appear to be anyone in this area familiar with working on them (Florida big bend, St. Marks area). Leaving the engine where it is would be allot easier than pulling it, to say nothing of the monel tank and copper exhaust pipe...probably have to destroy the cockpit to remove them. I can imagine replacing a bulkhead outright would be easier.

The boat is on a trailer right now so I could go to somebody with it if they were close, but of all the yards I've spoken with hereabouts, nobody wants to touch an A4. Mostly outboard repair or larger diesels on shrimpers make up the work for them.

Cheers,

Paul

pvanv

Admiral

I understand; But there are a zillion A4's out there - simple and reliable; I would hope that with some more research, you could come up with a mechanic who would be willing to do it.

If that's still not an option, the OB I would select would be a setup that we have done on many similar-sized sailboats... Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury/Evinrude (they are all made by Tohatsu) 9.8 Ultra-long (with 4-blade high-thrust prop) on the Garelick bracket. In the case of my Hinterhoeller HR28, with the motor in the lazarette, we did a remote model, so it operates as an inboard... On some sailboats with reverse transom, etc, where the motor would be hard to get to, the remote is the best option, possibly even with the power tilt feature. It will change sailing characteristics somewhat, as you put weight on the end of the boat, but the long-term advantage is that you can now change motors by unclamping the OB and clamping on a different one.

Perhaps you can get a local yard to pull the A4, and then ship it to Moyer or someone who can freshen it for you. What is the compression on the old A4? If it's good, and the bearings are OK, maybe you don't need to pull it at all...